Remote Disruption of Non-Wireless Non-Bluetooth Digital Devices - How?

curious1

Hello,

Last Monday, a just purchased Polaroid Sports Action Camera malfunctioned as I was recording an important situation. I believe the malfunction was triggered by remote tampering of the device. Although this camera has no Wi-Fi adapter nor Bluetooth, I am certain the malfunction was triggered by remote meddling. I am wondering if somebody from this forum can give me some pointers. 

DESCRIPTION OF THE MALFUNCTION: I was recording a phone call, and as I watched the camera timer in the small screen of the device, I noticed more than one out-of-pattern blinking of it. Given that I am a victim of persistent targeted hacking, and having experienced the remote tampering of cameras equipped with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, I expect the tampering of digital equipment, and I am observant of ANY anomaly. So I grabbed a phone and began to record the Polaroid camera. 

The timer began to malfunction more evidently, and when the video had been recording for 00:11:32, the timer froze for a few seconds, and then continued to run at 00:11:36. Meaning, it skipped displaying 00:11:33 through 00:11:35. Then, at 00:12:33, the timer froze, but the camera appeared to continue recording. I was disabled from powering out the camera. I had to wait until the battery ran out. 

52165542662_3bec65c3f7.jpg

52165542677_9bd367c12e.jpg

52166572838_fbeb766921.jpg

I was hopeful about this camera because unlike almost every digital device out there now days, this one has no Wi-Fi nor Bluetooth, and I expected that unless somebody had the device in their hands and pushed button or connected to a PC through its USB cable, there was no possibility for remote disruption of its operation. Before I purchased a PowerShot, but with the Wi-Fi it was easily hacked, and an important evidence video deleted. 

Over the internet I began to research related information. My first search was "electronic devices without wireless controlled by radio waves," which it evolved to "radio waves tamper with device clock," and ended on "clock glitch attack." With this last search, I found this hacking software https://wiki.newae.com/V4:Tutorial_A2_Introduction_to_Glitch_Attacks_(including_Glitch_Explorer) , which validated my thought that the operation of a digital device can be disrupted by breaking the internal clock. 

Now, I am wondering if this kind of hacking can be done remotely to devices that are not equipped for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and also about what kind of waves or technology would be use to execute this kind of tampering?

P.S. This may be a weird question, but this is really happening. I experienced this with other non-wireless digital devices, but without the timer, I did not venture to ask the question. After I saw and recorded the beginning of the malfunction, I felt encourage to try to get feedback. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived