Video:Cracking Windows Vista Passwords With Ophcrack And Ca

Dаrren Kitchen

Ok, I wrote a text article awhile back on it, but now some of the free tool are being updated to handle Vista's changed SAM and SYSTEM hive structure.

Cracking Windows Vista Passwords With Ophcrack And Cain

http://irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/crac...hcrack-and-cain

This time the tutorial uses free tools. Hope it helps someone.

Guest TehHacks

Thanks, This has been useful. However i have been having some problems with OPHcrack recently, when i first got Vista i tried it, i popped the CD in and OPHcrack booted but when it got to the screen where it displays the user it just stopped, didn't do anything at all I could hear the CD stop spinning as well. I thought it was Just Vista, However I tried it again with a different Disk later that month when i has re-installed XP onto my Windows Partition cos my Vista 30 has run out. and it did exactly the same thing. It was very strange, since then i have stopped using OPHcrack and just been using Backtrack and JTR ect.

anyway thanks, good tut (as all yours are)

Guest TehHacks

I'll Try, TBH, i dont mind using Backtrack to do it anyway. Inaddition cracking the password on site is the way OPHcrack does isn't practical for my usage. i usually just extract the Hashes with Backtrack, then crack them later on my own box (like you did with cain in that video)

P.S (I know this is kinda off topic but...) I saw your first two tutorials on NMAP and was wondering if you ever made a third one? I could only find those two under Hacking Illustrated.

Thanks

Guest TehHacks

Alright cool, well the ones you made were very good, i knew most of the stuff in the first one, but the second one was like a gold mine for me. It was alot clearer than the man pages.