Thanks to Hak5 Saved my family's company.

nolashadow

I've been in the IT business for well over 15 years now and after my wife and I got married I became the IT director of her family business. Her family owns a shipyard in the New Orleans area. When I took over they did not have 1 computer. So back in 2012 they started to sell different types of fuel like propane. Well since last year I started to notice our profits was going down. So I got a few items from hak5 and started to do some investigating. I have now discovered of all people my brother in law that also works at the shipyard has been stealing money since the end of 2013. I'm not talking a little bit of money just last year it was over $150,000 also 2018 $300,000. With his salary plus the money he has been stealing he was making well over $500,000 a year. After the first of the year he will be put in jail. So I just wanted to thank hak5 and hak5 community. If it would not have been for the great equipment and all great community here who knows how long it would have taken me to find all the data. Please keep up the great work and thanks again.  

• 3 months later...

This is what set me down the road my career today.   My dad was a General contractor in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.   In the 80s when I was about 13-14 he bought the 1st computer for the company and an Apple IIe for me to use at home.   For years I was the IT guy along with another guy he contracted to.    One day he came to me and said he had a project manager he though was stealing from the company and was keeping it in a Lotus 123 spreadsheet and wanted me to quietly investigate what was in it.   I was able to gain access to that spreadsheet and he flat out to the penny had been keeping track of very dime he had stolen,  where he had materials delivered for his house he was building, everything.       Long story short that spreadsheet became the invoice that kept him out of a very long prison sentence and the start of my real fascination with networking and computers.

Archived