Yagi Antenna on TETRA

Hello,

I want to attach a yagi antenna on the TETRA to increase range for wlan1 in client mode. I do not want to make a mistake. Is it correct to replace just one antenna on the right with the yagi antenna?

On 2/21/2016 at 5:56 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

With the front (LED side) of the WiFi Pineapple TETRA facing you, the two antennas on the left are wlan0 and the two on the right are wlan1. Another way to put look at it is that the two wlan0 antennas are closest to the RJ45 Ethernet port while the two wlan1 antennas are closest to the Reset button. Both radios are in a diversity configuration by default and ship with dual-band antennas. [...]

Why would the TETRA take damage if I deattach one of the antennas as it is stated here:

On 10/29/2017 at 1:18 PM, b0N3z said:

wlan 1 does all the sniffing (recon) and injection and wlan 0 is used for Pineap clients to connect to and wlan 0-1, which is a also wlan0 just split up, is your management AP to connect to and control the pineapple.  you cannot get away from two antenna per radio. If you decide to not use 1 of the 4 antenna you could ruin the radio on the inside and make the tetra a paper weight at that point

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 7:09 PM, pineapple_juice said:

Hello,

I want to attach a yagi antenna on the TETRA to increase range for wlan1 in client mode. I do not want to make a mistake. Is it correct to replace just one antenna on the right with the yagi antenna?

I haven't cracked open the case yet so I don't know the answer to this. With some setups you have to put a terminating connector on the unused antenna port.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:09 PM, pineapple_juice said:

Why would the TETRA take damage if I deattach one of the antennas as it is stated here:

Thank you.

Because the radios transmit radio signals, they must have a Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) as close to 1.0 as possible. If the SNR is above ~1.7 then there is radiated energy being pushed back into the transmitter that will damage the radio. As per my comment above, I'm not sure the effect of detaching one of the antennas. If someone has said that then they might know what happens to the SNR when you do that.

Archived