how enter passwords on msecure database (brute-force)

floralys

Hi,

I purchased mSecure for Android.

Now I don't own an Android device anymore and I want to import my msecurebackupfile to mSecure for windows.

But I'm an idiot and i forgot my password.

I remember the first 12 letters but I remember that I once thought "12 letters is not enough" and put 3 or 4 letters more.

Now I'm looking for a way to brute-force it.

when msecure for windows starts, you can enter the password, hit Return and if it is wrong then you can enter again, don't have to click an okay button.

I hope anyone can help me !

Regards

Flora

I was not able to find the file structure for mSecure on the internet, however if you access your Androids root folder structure and go in to /usr, you may be able to find a file in there you can run an attack against.

*Edit* Looks like the file extension is .mscx

*Edit* Correction, it was replaced by .msim - Try searching for this file extension within your Android file structure.

mSecure uses 256 bit Blowfish Encryption. The hashes should look like '$2a$12$.Wrdfw4P534krDPfBr7RDulHxAbDFIfwXBK9K8ndFXDPHyDSu8SIW'

You may be able to crack this in Hashcat using mode 3200, but I am not certain.

Edited by haze1434

3 hours ago, floralys said:

Now I don't own an Android device anymore and I want to import my msecurebackupfile to mSecure for windows.

Just re-read. You can't import your mSecure backup file from thin air, you'd need the phone with the file on it. You will need to contact their customer support.

Hmm, found this;

"We cannot decrypt an mSecure or mBackup backup file. 256bit Blowfish encryption has never been decrypted."

https://support.msecure.com/forums/topic/how-can-i-recover-my-forgotten-itunes-backup-password

Looks like my reference in the post on Wednesday 12/10/16 was incorrect, mode 3200 must be an older version of the same type of encryption.

Edited by haze1434

I found this:

" mSecure stores data in NSKeyArchiver files at Documents/msecure.db

Data encrypted with Blowfish

Master key is SHA-256 of master password

Fixed string encrypted on master key is 
stored for password verification"

So the password is encrypted with SHA  and there is no hash file for that nor for the database?

• 1 month later...