Visual Basic .NET Question/HELP!

angelictorment

Ok I have to code an RPN Calculator for class for my Introduction to VB .NET Class. I've been trying to get this stupid thing to work for the past few days and I keep having issues. First I get this error "Statement not valid in a namespace." I can't find any help on this. Here is part of the coding please help. Thank You!

Public Class frmCalculator

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Dim total1 As Integer

Dim total2 As Integer

End Class

Private Sub btnOne_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnOne.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnOne.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnTwo_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnTwo.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnTwo.Text

End Sub

Private Sub cmdExit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdExit.Click

End

End Sub

Private Sub btnZero_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnZero.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnZero.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnThree_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnThree.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnThree.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnFour_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFour.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnFour.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnFive_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFive.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnFive.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnSix_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSix.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnSix.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnSeven_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSeven.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnSeven.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnEight_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnEight.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnEight.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnNine_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNine.Click

txtDisplay.Text = btnNine.Text

End Sub

Ok now I have this issue... But first.

Ok everyone, wanted to say thanx for the links and the guidance. Now here is the rest of my issue. See code below. I need to find out how to get these numbers to also display in lstBox2 along with the symbols for + - * and /. Also need to know how to make it total everything up. Like what we have to do is 9+9 in lstBox2 and to get the answer I'd have to hit +,-,*, or / to make it show 9+9=19/ Since there is no equals key for this type of calculator. HELP please...

Now for the code.

Public Class frmCalculator

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Dim total1 As Integer

Dim total2 As Integer

Private Sub btnOne_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnOne.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnOne.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnTwo_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnTwo.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnTwo.Text

End Sub

Private Sub cmdExit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdExit.Click

End

End Sub

Private Sub btnZero_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnZero.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnZero.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnThree_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnThree.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnThree.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnFour_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFour.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnFour.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnFive_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFive.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnFive.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnSix_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSix.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnSix.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnSeven_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSeven.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnSeven.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnEight_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnEight.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnEight.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnNine_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNine.Click

txtDisplay.Text = txtDisplay.Text & btnNine.Text

End Sub

Private Sub btnPlus_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPlus.Click

total1 = total1 + Val(lstBox2.Text)

txtDisplay.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub cmdClear_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdClear.Click

txtDisplay.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub btnSubtract_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubtract.Click

total1 = total1 - Val(lstBox2.Text)

txtDisplay.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub btnMultiply_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnMultiply.Click

total1 = total1 * Val(lstBox2.Text)

txtDisplay.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub btnDivide_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDivide.Click

total1 = total1 / Val(lstBox2.Text)

txtDisplay.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub cmdClearList_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdClearList.Click

lstBox2.ClearSelected()

End Sub

End Class

<rant>

In other words you want us to do your home work for you? Isn't the point of homework to learn? It you're not doing your homework, how are you supposed to make in the real world writing real programs?

</rant>

Alright I know you're new to programming, and it can be confusing sometimes. However the most important skill needed by a programmer is problem solving. You should be able to figure out the algorithm, it may be buggy, it may not be efficient, but you're learning all the way. Try breaking it[the problem] down into smaller pieces.

Wikipedia has a lot of programming resources, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPN_calculator should get you started.

Well to display values you just assign it to the Text property and to add text you just add it, the behind the scenes magic will figure out that you want a string.

lstBox2.Text = theValue + "a string"

For a RPN calculator I would think inputting one element at a time and pressing enter after each would be the simplest way of doing it, that way you could just listen to the KeyPress event and read the input when you get a newline.

<rant>

In other words you want us to do your home work for you? Isn't the point of homework to learn? It you're not doing your homework, how are you supposed to make in the real world writing real programs?

</rant>

Well no, I just need some pointers and some input is all and a litl help along the way. This class I'm in is only 5 weeks long. Crash courses suck a$$ is all... Just wait for this next project, I think I have it done already though, I haven't tested it yet. Decimal to Binary Converter. But I'd also like to take it one step further and convert Binary to Decimal. Anyhow thanx for the help Psycho....

jool- I think I get what your saying. Thank you also...