can't acces login page when connected to router with eth0

levisiccard

Hey guys,

this is probably kind of a noob question but when I connect my pineapple straight to my home router with a TP cable (eth0) I can connect clients to the pineapple and they have all internet so all is working fine but how can I acces my pineapple with my laptop?

I'm not getting the login page.

Don't know if this is helpfull but when I'm connected to the pineapple and i do a "ipconfig" all is looking fine.

I have an ip adress 192.168.1.13

subnetmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

when the pineapple is not connected to my home router (no eth0) there is no problem at all getting the login page, but of course i have no internet...

what am i missing here to get the login page.. (when connected to home router with eth0)

Edited by LeeVai

Did you try connecting to http://192.168.1.13:1471

This is apparantly the IP the pineapple gets from your router. So if your laptop is on the same network you should be able to connect this way.

doesn't work for me.

However I found a bit of a solution that resolves my problem partial.

Giving my laptop a

=> static IP: 172.16.42.50

=> subnetmask 255.255.0.0

=> gateway 172.16.42.1

This enables me to connect to my pineapple login page and actualy login and manage my infusions but without internet acces so I can not update them.

guess it's the gateway part maybe....

When you have the Mk5 and your laptop connected to your router what is the IP and subnetmask of the laptop?

Is the laptop connected to your router over ethernet or wifi?

Windows or Linux laptop?

My first guess is that your laptop is still bound to the static IP that you would need to give it to connect directly to the pineapple.

In your partial solution are you connecting the laptop's ethernet port directly to the pineapple?

Edited by -=Dante=-

When you have the Mk5 and your laptop connected to your router what is the IP and subnetmask of the laptop?

Is the laptop connected to your router over ethernet or wifi?

Windows or Linux laptop?

My first guess is that your laptop is still bound to the static IP that you would need to give it to connect directly to the pineapple.

In your partial solution are you connecting the laptop's ethernet port directly to the pineapple?

The mkV is connected directly to my router with the eth0

My laptop is connected to the pineapple on the wlan0 of the pineapple

ip adress laptop 192.168.1.13

subnetmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

I've tried both windows and linux -> same result: I can not enter the login page of the pineapple (exept when i change my ip to the static conf. that i've listed here above for my partial solution)

so in my partial solution I connect the laptop to the pineapple and give it a static ip 172.16.42.50 with subnet 255.255.0.0

this result is that now I can enter the pineapple, use the infusions but with my laptop I can not download new infusions.

When I connect a third other device with the pineapple to test the internet connection it is able to use internet connection. So the pineapple has internet connection.7

Hoping this describes what i am experiencing and looking to resolve

I'm seeing the same behavior as LeeVai. When booting the Mk5 pluged directly into a router. Clients on wifi are bridged through the Mk5 and receive IP's form the router.

I am not very familiar with OpenWRT but I think in order to get this working you would have to edit /etc/config/network

The default for eth0 or lan is:

config interface lan
        option ifname   eth0
        option type     bridge
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   172.16.42.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0
        option gateway  172.16.42.42
        option dns      8.8.8.8

You might find these pages helpful.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/internet.connection

DISCLAMER! I do not know enough about this to be sure what this will do to br-lan. I am fairly sure that it will not exist anymore and that your only way into the Mk5 will be through WiFi. It might also break everything! I would highly recommend waiting until someone who knows more about this than I do, says something.

[Edit]

Turns out this does break lots of stuff. DON'T DO THIS.

[Edit2]

Specifically this breaks the Mk5's ability to hand out IP's over dhcp and you will not be able to connect via wireless. I was however able to ssh in over eth0 and confirm that the pineapple had properly gotten an IP from the router.

Edited by -=Dante=-

The mkV is connected directly to my router with the eth0

My laptop is connected to the pineapple on the wlan0 of the pineapple

ip adress laptop 192.168.1.13

subnetmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

I've tried both windows and linux -> same result: I can not enter the login page of the pineapple (exept when i change my ip to the static conf. that i've listed here above for my partial solution)

so in my partial solution I connect the laptop to the pineapple and give it a static ip 172.16.42.50 with subnet 255.255.0.0

this result is that now I can enter the pineapple, use the infusions but with my laptop I can not download new infusions.

When I connect a third other device with the pineapple to test the internet connection it is able to use internet connection. So the pineapple has internet connection.7

Hoping this describes what i am experiencing and looking to resolve

Is there a reason why you aren't connecting the Pineapple to your laptop via the Eth port?

The IP (192.168.1.13) you are getting on your laptop suggests that you are not being assigned an IP from the Pineapple, but from your home router instead.

If the Pineapple is seeing your home router as it's default gateway, then you would need to assign the IP address of 172.16.42.42 to your home router. Have you tried setting up the Pineapple as per the instructions provided? If so, does it all work that way?

If you don't want to connect your laptop to the Pineapple via the Eth port, then you need to utilize both Wlan's. i think connecting the Pineapple to your home router via the Eth port is a hard way to do things.

So, I have made a little progress toward getting this to work.

I added an alias to br-lan by adding the following to /etc/config/network

config interface wan3
        option ifname br-lan
        option proto dhcp

and added some firewall options based on the other interfaces that the Mk5 can receive an internet connection from (wlan1, usb0)

/etc/config/firewall

config zone
        option name             wan3
        option network          'wan3'
        option input            ACCEPT
        option output           ACCEPT
        option forward          ACCEPT
        option masq             1
        option mtu_fix          1

config forwarding
        option src              lan
        option dest             wan3

config forwarding
        option src              wan3
        option dest             lan

What this leaves me with is:

1. When I boot the Mk5 without the Ethernet cable plugged into a router, I can connect via WiFi on wlan0 and get a 172.16.42.* address.

2. Plugging into a router and issuing "ifup wan3" adds a second IP acquired from the router to br-lan. This can be seen by issuing "ip addr" (if you have ip installed)

3. The original device that connected via WiFi can now access the pineapple directly at 172.16.42.1, and connect to the internet, and the Mk5 can be reached over the router's lan.

4. Any subsequent devices that connect revert back to the original behavior of being bridged through the Mk5 and talking directly to the router for dhcp assignment.

My current line of thought is setting up a custom route for the 172.16.42.0 block of addresses.

Any input toward getting this working is appreciated.

Is there a reason why you aren't connecting the Pineapple to your laptop via the Eth port?

The IP (192.168.1.13) you are getting on your laptop suggests that you are not being assigned an IP from the Pineapple, but from your home router instead.

If the Pineapple is seeing your home router as it's default gateway, then you would need to assign the IP address of 172.16.42.42 to your home router. Have you tried setting up the Pineapple as per the instructions provided? If so, does it all work that way?

If you don't want to connect your laptop to the Pineapple via the Eth port, then you need to utilize both Wlan's. i think connecting the Pineapple to your home router via the Eth port is a hard way to do things.

The reason is just to try it out. This way i could run the pineapple day and night without having the laptop on. Also i believe a TP cable is much more stable then connecting to wifi with wlan1. Wich by the way doesnt work for me. Still need to check that out. Got so much work for school also ...