What machine do you guys recommend?

Ham Radio

Hey guys!

I am in the market for getting a new machine, and am wondering if anybody knows what machine Darren and Shannon use on the show?

I figure that they would get a good one, and not a bad one so that's what I am wondering. Thanks!

Also a machine that you guys recommend would be appreciated too.

Whether it is a desktop, laptop, tablet, netbook, or ultrabook. I am exploring all my options. Thanks!

Edited by Ham Radio

I don't know what your budget is, but I am getting this one. I will be formatting the disk and installing CentOS.

ASUS G75VW-T1443H

If you want a desktop I highly recommend building your own. You will save money and be much happier with the hardware you chose. Laptops can be a tricky place because there are tons of factors. You need to decide exactly what you want out of your machine and work from there. Integrated graphics or a dedicated chip? How new do you want the processor? Do you want SSD or HDD storage? Go through a system piece by piece and develop what you feel would be your ideal system and from there begin looking for what types of laptops are available. Generally speaking steer clear of your generic brands like HP, ACER and Toshiba. While at times they can make good products, more often than not they only produce junk. I highly recommend ASUS laptops, I thoroughly enjoy mine, but I will warn you. Their tech support is pretty awful. I called them once to ask if I could purchase a driver install CD/DVD for my laptop as I wiped it and needed to reinstall the LAN drivers to get online. The woman on the line kept trying to get me to spend $100+ dollars to have some tech do it for me over the net... I don't think she understood why I wanted the disk, lol. Furthermore she proceeded to tell me that it isn't a good idea to download the drivers from their website because there could be "very bad viruses that could destroy my hard drive". So the jist of my story is this, good hardware, terrible service, never call them.

Hey guys!

I am in the market for getting a new machine, and am wondering if anybody knows what machine Darren and Shannon use on the show?

I figure that they would get a good one, and not a bad one so that's what I am wondering. Thanks!

Also a machine that you guys recommend would be appreciated too.

Whether it is a desktop, laptop, tablet, netbook, or ultrabook. I am exploring all my options. Thanks!

Without having a general idea of what you want to do with it and what your budget is nobody would be able to you an answer that would be of any use to you. What exactly are you going to do with it? Gaming? School? Video Editing?

Thanks for the advice guys. :).

Well, what I am thinking is a desktop for video, photo editing, gaming, large storage, that kind of stuff. Then some kind of mobile computing device. I am thinking a tablet, or something like that. I am currently using a 3 year old HP laptop, and am using it like a desktop. I use an external keyboard, all the USB ports are being used, I use external speakers, etc.. I only use the laptop once a week for a couple hours, so I will just save it for that. The laptop weighs over 6 lb's, so it's not very easy to carry around. The tablet would be used for taking notes, reading, web, e-mail, primarily business focused but I will use it for personal use too. That's what my current thoughts are, but I welcome any suggestions. Thanks :)