Ubertooth One issue

rootX60

I am having issues with the ubertooth I am going to place the error I am getting I am using Backtrack 5 R3

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./ubertooth-specan-ui", line 27, in <module>

import usb.core

ImportError: No module named core

• 2 months later...

Hi, i recently bought an ubertooth one, it works brilliant although i cant get it to work with kismet.

Im getting with the kismet plugin:

No Ubertooth devices, can only show details once a device has been found.

Ive installed it and reinstalled it several times now with different guides, i dont have that much experience with linux but im slowly learning does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

The version if kismet provided by Debian/Ubuntu is 2008-05-R1, which is too old to support the Ubertooth plugin. In order to use Ubertooth with Kismet it is nessecary to compile Kismet from source:

sudo apt-get install libpcap0.8-dev libcap-dev pkg-config \
build-essential libnl-dev libncurses-dev libpcre3-dev \
libpcap-dev libcap-dev
wget http://www.kismetwireless.net/code/kismet-2011-03-R2.tar.gz
tar xf kismet-2011-03-R2.tar.gz
cd kismet-2011-03-R2
ln -s ../ubertooth-2012-10-R1/host/kismet/plugin-ubertooth ./
./configure
make && make plugins
sudo make suidinstall
sudo make plugins-install
Add "pcapbtbb" to the "logtypes=..." line in kismet.conf

Edited by midnitesnake

Yes, i´ve tried the post above. But, when I´m going to put the directory kismet into plugin ubertooth one with the command line "ln", it doesn´t respond and doesn´t let to do this action.

With respect, kismet.conf, I´ve added "pcapbtbb".

Thanks for your answer and interest.

Do you have the output of these commands from above

make && make plugins
sudo make suidinstall
sudo make plugins-install

The only thing I can think of, is that the plugin hasn't been created due to some error?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Old thread revival, but here is my issue with trying to get the Ubertooth One plugin to work with Kismet on Kali:

For whatever reason, Kismet won't recognize the Ubertooth plugin as being the correct version. I keep getting this:

"FATAL: Failed to load plugin 'ubertooth.so' : This plugin was compiled for a different version of Kismet; Please recompile and reinstall it, or remove it entirely.

FATAL: Failure during activating plugins"

I've followed the instructions posted above to a T, but still to no avail. I've attempted installing the latest versions of both Kismet and Ubertooth, but that didn't work either. I've also attempted the latest version of Kismet, while attempting older versions of Ubertooth, but nothing seems to work.

I'm not super good with Linux, but I can manage. I have a feeling I need to do some house-cleaning around the OS and remove files that may be causing a conflict with the plugin. Ideally I'd like to wipe Kismet completely and start fresh, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. In terminal, when I type in "kismet -version" I get Kismet 2011-03-R2 as per the instructions posted above.

If anyone here has any suggestions on how to get these two to play nice, please let me know!

Edited by intern

First try "apt-get remove kismet" which should remove the repository one.

Then try "which kismet" as you might have a manually installed/compiled within '/usr/local' or another subdirectory.

I was using Ubuntu 12.04 when using the instructions above #4 and it worked fine for me.

Just installed Kali 1.0.3 (32bit) in a VM and got it working with the following instructions ( [ ] denote manual actions):

apt-get update

apt-get install cmake libusb-1.0.0-dev pkg-config build-essential libnl-dev libncurses-dev libpcap-dev libcap-dev

[manually download libbtbb version 2012-10-R3, and ubertooth 2012-10-R1 from respective source forge repository]

[extract libbtbb]

cd libbtbb-2012-10-R3

make;make install

cd ..

[extract ubertooth (tar -xJf ubertooth*.xz)]

cd ubertooth-2012-10-R1/host/

make;make install

cd ..

cd kismet-2011-03-R2

./configure
make && make plugins
make install && make plugins-install
[Add "pcapbtbb" to the "logtypes=..." line in kismet.conf]
kismet -c ubertooth
[ubertooth failed to start, so I then enabled the plugin manually...
shift-~, Kismet,move down to plugins, select plugins, enter, highlight ubertooth, space, tab,tab,enter]
Then it was all working!
Edited by midnitesnake

First try "apt-get remove kismet" which should remove the repository one.

Then try "which kismet" as you might have a manually installed/compiled within '/usr/local' or another subdirectory.

I was using Ubuntu 12.04 when using the instructions above #4 and it worked fine for me.

Thank you for the reply. I ended up running into other problems and decided to just do a fresh install of the OS. If I run into my problems again I'll be sure to reference your post.

• 2 weeks later...

alright.. heres what i did after ending up with that error.. turns out it wasnt so tuff... this will be for ubuntu

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev make gcc pyside-tools python-numpy
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyusb/files/PyUSB%201.0/1.0.0-alpha-2/pyusb-1.0.0a2.tar.gz/download \

-O pyusb-1.0.0a2.tar.gz

tar xvf pyusb-1.0.0a2.tar.gz
cd pyusb-1.0.0a2
sudo python setup.py install          (NOW WHILE STILL IN pyusb-1.0a2) this means dont cd(change directory) wget the following
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/libbtbb/files/libbtbb-2012-10-R3.tar.xz/download \
-O libbtbb-2012-10-R3.tar.xz
tar xf libbtbb-2012-10-R3.tar.xz
cd libbtbb-2012-10-R3

make

sudo make install <<<<<<<you should still be in pyusb+libbtbb... you must compile them together by staying in the same folder as you started in....

cd

cd

cd

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubertooth/files/ubertooth-2012-10-R1.tar.xz/download \-O ubertooth-2012-10-R1.tar.xztar xf ubertooth-2012-10-R1.tar.xzcd ubertooth-2012-10-R1/hostmakesudo make install

now for the fun part.. i asume you run into no module named core /==core== after running python specan.py

the trick here is cd into specan_ui then sudo python ubertooth-specan-ui to run it....

cd ubertooth-2012-10-R1/host/specan_ui/

ls

sudo python ubertooth-specan-ui <<<<you can also run it without python command (sudo ubertooth-specan-ui)

that should bring you into the spectrum analyzer if you get the following messege(libusb time out error 7) than unplug your ubertooth board and reinsert it gently..lol..

you can also confirm your firm ware inside the ubertooth by going into the bluetooth_rxtx directory

cd ubertooth-2012-10-R1/host/bluetooth_rxtx/

sudo ubertooth-util -v

your firmware on your uber should be the same version as you downloaded.. if not you can allways flash it. welll aslong as it works.. you do this with the dfu mode whis is -f try sudo ubertooth-util -I use -h for a list.. hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Just installed Kali 1.0.3 (32bit) in a VM and got it working with the following instructions ( [ ] denote manual actions):

apt-get update

apt-get install cmake libusb-1.0.0-dev pkg-config build-essential libnl-dev libncurses-dev libpcap-dev libcap-dev

[manually download libbtbb version 2012-10-R3, and ubertooth 2012-10-R1 from respective source forge repository]

[extract libbtbb]

cd libbtbb-2012-10-R3

make;make install

cd ..

[extract ubertooth (tar -xJf ubertooth*.xz)]

cd ubertooth-2012-10-R1/host/

make;make install

cd ..

cd kismet-2011-03-R2

./configure
make && make plugins
make install && make plugins-install
[Add "pcapbtbb" to the "logtypes=..." line in kismet.conf]
kismet -c ubertooth
[ubertooth failed to start, so I then enabled the plugin manually...
shift-~, Kismet,move down to plugins, select plugins, enter, highlight ubertooth, space, tab,tab,enter]
Then it was all working!

I used this walkthrough, everything compiled with no errors, but the plugin won't show up in kismet :(

What I'm I doing wrong?