Python/ruby On Pineapple Mark Iv

JayBlack

I am fluent with Python and pretty decent with Ruby. I've been looking into installing ruby and python on external USB for usage with the Pineapple Mark IV. When looking at OPKG instructions I tried defining output/destination/temp directories with the command line and I get the following

opkg -d /usb -o /usb -t /usb/tmp install ruby ruby-core ruby-gems ruby-dl ruby-enc
Collected errors:
 * opkg_conf_load: Could not create lock file /usb//var/lock/opkg.lock: No such file or directory.

I would like to install everything straight to the USB without accessing or modifying anything on the Pineapple. I know I would need to add lib and bin directories to PATH, no problem there. Some of the other instructions talk of redefining all your paths to the USB drive (with extroot and /etc/opkg.conf)... but I don't want to overwrite or remove existing paths. Any advice on a pure install with no other system mod'/touch' ? Thanks!

I would like to install everything straight to the USB without accessing or modifying anything on the Pineapple. I know I would need to add lib and bin directories to PATH, no problem there. Some of the other instructions talk of redefining all your paths to the USB drive (with extroot and /etc/opkg.conf)... but I don't want to overwrite or remove existing paths. Any advice on a pure install with no other system mod'/touch' ? Thanks!

Sorry for not following forum rule basics and giving it a more thorough go at it myself. I've followed the instructions at http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/opkg under Installation Destinations. What I hadn't understood before is that the -dest option for opkg requires a nickname from the /etc/opkg.conf file and not an actual directory. Once I figured this out the idea is simple to do.

To see a list of available packages you can peruse http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages

Edited by JayBlack