Web Host With Ssh

CBJamo

I'm starting to read a book called "making things talk" by Tom Igoe, where many of the projects require a Web server that will let me ssh directly into the server. Additionally, over Christmas my school replaced websense with some other content blocker and it is much more difficult to get past, so now I want to set up my own ssh tunnel to get past that. So, my question is, what Web host do you all recommend? I live in the US and if it exists I would like a host that provides some type of Android control panel.

No need to purchase a domain or hire a VPS service. What you need is a spare computer with Ubuntu installed on it.

From there you can install and configure a SSH server and tunnel all your traffic into it.

If you do require a domain, I would suggest going with the cheap option, dyndns.org. (registration is required, but no fees are charged)

Port forwarding on your router will be required for this set up, so the service is accessible from the internet.

Edited by Infiltrator

Could you put Linux on a retired system (desktop/laptop/etc) and leave it hooked to your parents' internet connection? This way you have full control of the remote system without having to pay for hosting. Just offering another option since I was a poor university student.

If you are really careful, you could pick a country which doesn't share extradition treaties with the US. They will probably be hostile, so getting data from that server will also be more difficult.

If you are super paranoid, there are some advantages to being off-shore. They are offset by dealing with foreign bodies and all the headache that can entail. You could also set up an Amazon EC2 micro-instance which has decent bandwidth and is free-ish. Depending on how much you are using it, you could use it as an ssh pivot and I bet it would get you by.

I would consider setting up my own webserver at home, its a lot safer and there's no third party involvement. Of course, you will be responsible for whatever happens to it.

Edited by Infiltrator

I would set up a server at my house, but we have crap DSL, about 50-60kb/s up on a good day. Are there any benefits to hosting not in america? The latency would obviously be worse, but I don't know if it would be noticeable.

For web hosting, just use a third party for any heavy content (vimeo/youtube for videos, flickr/imgur for photos, etc). At 50KB/s, your SSH tunnel will still be faster, with more integrity, than tor.