Laptop LCD to Standard Video Card output.

aphex11101

Hey all.

Just a quick question that I am hoping some one can answer easily. I googled for the answer and so far all I found was something on digg that pointed to something on Make that pointed to something in french that basically said I was screwed.

I am in the middle of building a center console for my work van (a chevy express) I am going to build a computer (based off a Diebold ATM 866mhz mobo hehe) that fits inside. I want to take the monitor off a laptop and mount it flush to the surface of the "desk". Hopefully I will be able to rig up something that lets the monitor pop up and tilt a little. Anyway, the question.

Is there an easy way to use the laptop monitor in the way that I want. Hooked up directly to standard video card output? Or do I have to go the Earth LCD route which breaks the budget of my project.

I plan on having two monitors later when I can afford more.

Thanks

Aphex

You not likely to get this to work. Laptop LCDs usually are working on propreitry connections already and use different technologies to VGA and DVI which means your GFX card is unlikely to be able to support the Laptop LCD.

You can get around this but it is individual to each screen sometimes and not an easy process.

You can get GFX cards that support them sometimes but they usually carry a premium because it is a limited market base.

You would be better getting a cheap screen of ebay which used VGA probably then try and get a laptop screen to work.

If you've got more money to spend then go for a touch-screen one which takes 12V in as standard, you won't regret it.

Thanks stingwray,

I thought that might be the case. I've pulled this beaten up laptop apart and have been trying to figure out an easy way to do it but it doesn't look good. So much for cheap LCD Monitor for my project.

If anyone has any details on the microquest p79 monitor I'd be grateful. The laptop is by a company called microquest and I can find no information on it. I no longer boots. The model number appears to be p79t.

Thanks again

Allan