Debdroid

chikpee

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=950083 - the project on the xda-developers site

http://www.pentestit.com/2011/02/18/debdroid-run-network-sniffing-debian-system-android/ - the blog post I initially saw to discover it

Since buying (and rooting) a Droid X, I've long bemoaned how far behind the Android platform seemed to be in comparison to jailbroken iPhones/iPod Touches, which have the Cydia frontend for APT, a workable BSD subsystem, and a whole host of ported applications. Yeah, sure, Android is "open" and "based on Linux", but all you get out of the box is the rather castrated CLI (love how the only error message it can generate is "Permission denied", regardless of whether I'm trying to pass it a root level command or just typing gibberish at the prompt), a barebones busybox install upon rooting, and it's apparently a bitch to cross-compile Linux apps because of the very different directory structure, APIs, etc.

Looks like someone's finally advancing in the direction that jailbroken iPhones have gone. You get a full-fledged Debian ARM install running inside a chroot jail on your Android. You can either pass it commands with a debshell script or run debdroid to enter it.

But you wanna know the BEST part?

It comes pre-installed with

openssh

libpcap

libpcap-dev

ettercap

wireshark

carwhisperer

btscan

NMAP

ntbscan

...and apparently some other tools and you can APT over anything already compiled for ARM in Debian's repos! Awesome! Finally, a portable Linux pen-testing machine in your pocket!

It hasn't been tested with the Droid X (my current phone), but I'm going to play with it and see if I can get it to work...which might be tricky, since I just did a hack upgrade to Gingerbread, but we'll see.

Darren, if you're reading this, you should DEFINITELY check this out and do a report on the show!

So far, haven't gotten it working on my DroidX. It hasn't official been tested on any Motorola phones, and my situation is probably even more complicated by the fact that I have the leaked 2.3 Gingerbread update plus the TBH tethering patch on top of it in a , so far, less than stellar effort to fix my broken wifi tethering capability. I'll be playing with this more in the future, though.

• 3 weeks later...