Ccc Setup

Iain

I've enjoyed seeing the challenges and, in particular, details about how the last challenge was completed. I realise that Darren sets everything up for folks to have a go and wondered if he might do a brief segment about exactly how he set it up. I'm happy to e-mail feedback, but someone on the forum might be able to provide some pointers. For instance, Darren mentioned something about the server transmitting some information periodically from port 1337 (hence the need to listen carefully on that port to get the clue), but what did he use to do this? I'm not really interested in how he edited photos of Kerby to have overlying text etc., but rather the server and configurational side of things.

It might sound as if I want to set up my own challenge, but far from it! I just want to know about what's happening "under the hood".

1) To set up the virtual machines for the Hak5 Challenge, Darren used Proxmox a virtualization platform, that you can download from www.proxmox.com. Once the VMs were set up, he used if I am correct, UltraVNC to remotely view each individual VMs session and have a clear picture of what the contestants were doing.

2) To generate the traffic on port 1337, I am not sure what tool he used, but he did use Networkminer to capture the traffic and reassemble the data back to its original state.

This is what i can remember so far, may be someone else can indicate a few more pointers too.

Thank you. I recalled how he'd set them up using Proxmox and then VNC (or similar) to "spy" on folks who were attempting the challenge. It's the more specific tinkering, like generating traffic on port 1337, that interests me. Maybe he could include that sort of information when he runs through the "how it was solved" for future challenges.

Thank you. I recalled how he'd set them up using Proxmox and then VNC (or similar) to "spy" on folks who were attempting the challenge. It's the more specific tinkering, like generating traffic on port 1337, that interests me. Maybe he could include that sort of information when he runs through the "how it was solved" for future challenges.

What you could is re-watch the episode where he discloses how the Hak5 Challenge was made.

Or contact him on his email address?