Umpc & Mid ....or So

Fringeneer

Hi,

I'm looking for mobile device (UMPC, Smart phone , MID ...etc) capable to run BT4. Something really mobile like Droid X(1GHz + QWERTY but \i dunno if it works) ... something like

ViliV n5 or so. I simply dont know which one of smartphones MIDs has (open) drivers for wifi card and has QWERTY :)

Please help

...you know what I mean

......sorry for my english :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking for mobile device (UMPC, Smart phone , MID ...etc) capable to run BT4. Something really mobile like Droid X(1GHz + QWERTY but \i dunno if it works) ... something like

ViliV n5 or so. I simply dont know which one of smartphones MIDs has (open) drivers for wifi card and has QWERTY :)

Please help

...you know what I mean

......sorry for my english :)

I found a nice UMPC made in Korea a few years ago, Wbrain B1, with a VIA C7-M 1.20GHz and pretty decent integrated S3 graphics for the time and a 4.8" 1024x600 screen with resistive touch.

Since then Wibrain has sadly gone bankrupt. It was available in an extremely limited batch as E-King B1, but it was immediately replaced by the i1 which had the dreaded GMA500.

Even more sadly the B1 got very hot under load (this was right before the launch if VIA Nano).

Most drivers where proprietary and compiled for Ubuntu 7.10 & 8.04, though there might be better support for it in modern distros.

On the plus side though the design feels very solid and thought through except for the USB port which is located right in the middle of your right palm.

There was an adapter which made the USB port angled upwards, though I didn't get one myself so I can't tell you what it feels like.

A simple 10 cm extension cord will do good enough in most cases.

It has a split QWERTY keyboard, which is the most comfortable mobile keyboard I've ever used.

The keys has a subtile but very distinct feedback, which makes it perfect for SSH sessions.

I'll try booting BT4 on it for you if you want, but you might have to settle for an external WiFi dongle (range wasn't exactly it's strongest side).

Edited by Djhg2K