Building A High Performance Home Router With An Adsl Modem

Weka

Hi

I really like the episode Building a high performance home router -. I actually found Hak5 as a result of my research into building such a router. But I want to add an ADSL modem as well. And run selected apps too

My goal is to have an always on low wattage (green) computer so I can experiment with Home Security, Torrents (I make Screen capture tutorials) remotely login onto my home server when I am out. etc

When I'm home I want that computer to be my home Modem Router as well.

If you have any thoughts or ideas for me I would be totally grateful

Cheers Weka

Edited by Weka

Hi

I really like the episode Building a high performance home router -. I actually found Hak5 as a result of my research into building such a router. But I want to add an ADSL modem as well. And run selected apps too

My goal is to have an always on low wattage (green) computer so I can experiment with Home Security, Torrents (I make Screen capture tutorials) remotely login onto my home server when I am out. etc

When I'm home I want that computer to be my home Modem Router as well.

If you have any thoughts or ideas for me I would be totally grateful

Cheers Weka

Hey Dude what are you wanting to run on the box linux, windows ?

you will need to get ether a static IP, or use a service like no-ip.com so you can access it remotly

Edited by digimaori

Hi Weka

I've actually been looking at doing the same thing as well. What I seem to have come across so far is that you can use a Mini-ITX board as you main router however have a normal DSL modem running in "Bridged Mode" or something like that. It's the mode where it will only decode the DSL stream and pass it down the line, once it reaches your router then it will be split up and sent to computers around the place.

That means that you won't have to buy extra hardware for decoding the DSL stream as long as you already have a DSL modem, however if you want to get rid of the DSL modem as they are quite large and take up space, you can try this PCI card from Viking Industries, http://www.traverse.com.au/productview.php?product_id=115

It just plugs into a PCI slot on the motherboard (make sure you have enough slots) and then with a bit of configuration it is fairly trivial to get it working in Windows or Linux (probably Mac as well). The only problem is that its quite expensive, around the $150 mark, but you have to admit it's a sexy piece of hardware.

Hey Dude what are you wanting to run on the box linux, windows ?

you will need to get ether a static IP, or use a service like no-ip.com so you can access it remotly

I want a Linux Box.

I use DynDNS. But thx for the http://www.no-ip.com/ link. I will check them out too.

thx Alias

Good links too.

I'm more than happy to get a box that can take all the cards. Smaller is better though. The Netgear WNR3500L with an external USB drive. Is a good option but no ADSL modem.

Please PM me if you get a system up and running..

thx