stupid vmware question

3TeK

So i have ESXi setup for a customer with dual gigabit. I setup the public address 63.xxx.xxx.xxx one the first one and I need to set a static private ip like 192.168...blah blah blah address on the 2nd one. I tried looking through the console to do it but I couldn't find anything for the 2nd and same with the vSphere client..

what am i missing??

So i have ESXi setup for a customer with dual gigabit. I setup the public address 63.xxx.xxx.xxx one the first one and I need to set a static private ip like 192.168...blah blah blah address on the 2nd one. I tried looking through the console to do it but I couldn't find anything for the 2nd and same with the vSphere client..

what am i missing??

I assume you are giving the management console port the IP of 63.x.x.x? That's the only management (service console) port. You would need to create another one to give it another IP address. I don't believe ESXi allows that, ESX3.5 does.

I see no reason to put that out on the open internet, I recommend you give it an internal IP and use your firewall to allow access into that IP address. You can at least control or white list the allowed IPs then.

I assume you are giving the management console port the IP of 63.x.x.x? That's the only management (service console) port. You would need to create another one to give it another IP address. I don't believe ESXi allows that, ESX3.5 does.

I see no reason to put that out on the open internet, I recommend you give it an internal IP and use your firewall to allow access into that IP address. You can at least control or white list the allowed IPs then.

Well thats what im going to do, but the customer had everything on a Public IP without a firewall and it running web apps on it, so the customer still needs to be able to access the public IP while im working on setting up the private. if that makes any sense