Learning C, Which version and best book

toreil

The title says it all, i mainly want to write programs for windows and the iPhone, i know windows uses C# and the iPhone is all about objective-C. I was wondering what the best platform is to start from and what books are recommended for complete beginners.

Thanks guys

By platform to start on I'm guessing OS? Start on Mac OS X (I belive Mac is the only OS to support the Apple Iphone SDK). Also if you're first starting out sign up to the IPhone Objective-C Email list. I currently code personal java iphone applications. (made homework solvers :P http://static.schoolrack.com/files/21512/60530/Beta.rar Finds common multiples and factors. I'm only Gr. 8 ... Works on my Ipod Touch

(and hope fully Iphones).

Best of luck,

Juf

I'm not entirely sure what you are specifically planning to learn, if it's C, C# or Objective-C ... but I program in standard C and found that "C Programming in Easy Steps" has been a good book to go from the basics and to be used as a good reference, but all of the "In Easy Steps" books have been good for me :)

In Easy Steps Website

Well there's C, C++, C# and Objective-C.

C was the original and really created the syntax style that so many languages now take from, allowing developers to quickly pick up similar languages.

C++ built on C, adding a number of 'improvement', the one big difference being that C++ has support for objects and so is object orientated.

C# is not related to C or C++ really in any way other than it has a C like syntax, C# is Microsoft's answer to Java and works very similarly, it is heavily integrated with .NET and ASP.

Objective-C is really only used my Apple I believe for the OS X and iPhone/iPod Touch platforms, it is built on C but adds a number of other 'features'. (If I remember correctly.)

There other types of C and C++ which are different from the standards, one example is that Symbian use their own proprietary version of C++ they created, apparently because C++ wasn't finished when they started working on the Symbian OS.

As for popularity, you could argue that C is the most popular and Objective-C the least, this being based on the age of the language and also the number of platforms it is used with, however they all fit different areas and you should always choose the right tool for the job.

If you are looking to learn C, then the best book around is the "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis Ritchie (ISBN-10: 0131103628, ISBN-13: 978-0131103627). I still believe every programmer should have this on their bookshelf, your not a programmer without it! :-p