Bootable encrypted usb?

Andrewb

Hi I'm a long time viewer since the 1x1 episodes, and its a damn great show!

Onto the meat of the subject i have recently decided id like to try Ubuntu but due to recent circumstances i don't have much time to be playing around with a new OS while at home I'm doing HSC currently and i have to do work pretty consistently while at home. But i figured that i could make a bootable usb ubuntu and boot off that so i can play around when i have more spare time at school during my computers class since we rarely learn anything.

But when i tried to create a usb Ubuntu with the latest 8.10 there wasn't much room for doing anything other than just putting the iso straight onto the usb, I would like to keep my data secure so i would like to know if there is some way to set up a bootable root encrypted Ubuntu on usb, I found some articles on the matter but most were very vague or very old so before trying something that might not work i figured i would see if i could scrounge up some help. :D

p.s. I'm aware its very bad manners for the first post to be a question but i promise i wont ditch as soon as i get an answer iv been meaning to create an account for a while.

oops after writing that i realized i should probably let you know what iv found out already.

1) I could install the ubuntu normally then setup an encrypted partition, but my problem with this is that i would have to type in two password one to login one to access the partition id like to keep password to a minimum.

2) I could use an older version then follow the tutorials on using that one, I don't know if they are transferable to the new version? and if not i don't want to risk having some big security holes but mainly i like new shiny toys and wanted to the the latest and greatest.

Again im going to apologize for two posts in a row but Ive always felt that editing to add new content was like lying maybe that's just me :/

Full drive encryption on linux is not great from what I've seen. I have my windows system fully encrypted with truecrypt but it cant do linux. I'd suggest installing a live ubuntu onto a 4gb key and making an encrypted store onto that.

If you have autologon enabled, the you will only need one password to unlock the encrypted store.

Full drive encryption on linux is not great from what I've seen. I have my windows system fully encrypted with truecrypt but it cant do linux. I'd suggest installing a live ubuntu onto a 4gb key and making an encrypted store onto that.

If you have autologon enabled, the you will only need one password to unlock the encrypted store.

Linux supports full drive encryption out of the box and does a better job than truecrypts full drive encryption at the moment.

Ubuntu doesn't allow you to setup encryption on the graphical install, fedora however is very good and allows you to do it easily. I found this out when installing from USB onto my Aspire One.