Wii nunchuck mouse

thefatmoop

Alright so i'm reading the i2c networking from a wii nunchuck using a arduino microcontroller. Idea is that the microcontroller will read the data from wii nunchuck, and convert it to a serial command. A program on the computer will then read the serial input, then it will move the mouse accordingly.

an example serial output is:

jx223jy225ax793ay647az677zb1cb1

interpreted:

joystick x =223

joystick y =225

accelerometer x =793

accelerometer y =647

...etc

here's a program i was working on in vb6 (since i've done mouse programs in vb6 i decided to start off there)

problem is that if i'm taking 100 readings a second it just spams the mouse clicking.... text boxes are reading properly, but does anyone know what's wrong?

Private Declare Sub mouse_event Lib "user32" (ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dx As Long, ByVal dy As Long, ByVal cButtons As Long, ByVal dwExtraInfo As Long)

Const MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN = &H2

Const MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP = &H4

Const MOUSEEVENTF_MIDDLEDOWN = &H20

Const MOUSEEVENTF_MIDDLEUP = &H40

Const MOUSEEVENTF_MOVE = &H1

Const MOUSEEVENTF_ABSOLUTE = &H8000

Const MOUSEEVENTF_RIGHTDOWN = &H8

Const MOUSEEVENTF_RIGHTUP = &H10

Dim i As Integer

Dim InBuffer

Dim c As String

Dim z As String

Private Sub Form_Load()

MSComm1.Settings = ("115200, n, 8, 1")

MSComm1.RThreshold = 1

For i = 1 To 10

List1.AddItem (i)

Next

App.TaskVisible = False

End Sub

Private Sub List1_Click()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

If MSComm1.PortOpen = True Then

MSComm1.PortOpen = False

End If

MSComm1.CommPort = List1.ListIndex + 1 ' Select port

MSComm1.PortOpen = True

Exit Sub

ErrHandler:

MsgBox "An unknown error occurred. Make certain the port is valid and not in use"

End Sub

Private Sub MSComm1_OnComm()

InBuffer = MSComm1.Input

If MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvReceive Then

If Len(InBuffer) <> 33 Then

Exit Sub

End If

Label1.Caption = "joy X: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 3, 3) ' Input data

Label2.Caption = "joy Y: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 8, 3)

Label3.Caption = "accel X: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 13, 3)

Label4.Caption = "accel Y: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 18, 3)

Label5.Caption = "accel Z: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 23, 3)

Label6.Caption = "button C: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 31, 1)

Label7.Caption = "button Z: " & Mid$(InBuffer, 28, 1)

If Mid$(InBuffer, 28, 1) = "0" Then

mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN, 0&, 0&, cButt, dwEI

DoEvents

End If

ElseIf Mid$(InBuffer, 28, 1) = "1" Then

mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP, 0&, 0&, cButt, dwEI

DoEvents

End If

If Mid$(InBuffer, 31, 1) = "0" Then

mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_RIGHTDOWN, 0&, 0&, cButt, dwEI

DoEvents

ElseIf Mid$(InBuffer, 31, 1) = "1" Then

mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_RIGHTUP, 0&, 0&, cButt, dwEI

DoEvents

End If

End If

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)

If MSComm1.PortOpen = True Then

MSComm1.PortOpen = False

End If

End Sub

>.> anyone have any experience on connecting ucs to pcs over serial....?

I have experience using serial connection between microcontrollers and PCs, but I have very little VB6 experience so I don't think I can offer much help. It sounds like your problem is within your VB6 software? Maybe you can have the software record all the received serial output to a .txt file to look for anomalies?

But I did want to say thanks for the tip that the Wii accessories communicate using I2C! I didn't realize that before, now I've got a new project to play with. :)

Is there a connector available to plug in the Wii accessories? I really don't want to have to cut the cable of my Wii nunchuck.

I have experience using serial connection between microcontrollers and PCs, but I have very little VB6 experience so I don't think I can offer much help. It sounds like your problem is within your VB6 software? Maybe you can have the software record all the received serial output to a .txt file to look for anomalies?

But I did want to say thanks for the tip that the Wii accessories communicate using I2C! I didn't realize that before, now I've got a new project to play with. :)

Is there a connector available to plug in the Wii accessories? I really don't want to have to cut the cable of my Wii nunchuck.

yes yes there is! take a double copper sided pcb and use a dremel to cut a board like this.

http://todbot.com/blog/2008/02/18/wiichuck...pter-available/

or i guess u can buy one.

I was able to get the program working PERFECT! acceleration works, accelerometer works. I was playin some TF2 and it felt like halo3 lol. umm it's setup so i can press the c+z at same time when using accelerometer to recalibrate it.

Ideally i would like to re-write the program in java or something open source/ cross platform (python?) Most of my machines cept my gaming rig run linux... so lol it's limited. Another problem is i'm using vb6 and the APIs i'm using aren't standard on windows anymore.... so the program would need to install the apis. I need a programming environment that i can control the mouse and serial...

anyway yeah i'll post the source code on my site hopefully tonight (it would help if i had a site to start with) setting up drupal.... my program is a bit messy too.

yes yes there is! take a double copper sided pcb and use a dremel to cut a board like this.

http://todbot.com/blog/2008/02/18/wiichuck...pter-available/

Awesome, thanks!

I was able to get the program working PERFECT! acceleration works, accelerometer works. I was playin some TF2 and it felt like halo3 lol. umm it's setup so i can press the c+z at same time when using accelerometer to recalibrate it.

Sounds pretty slick, nice work. Eventually I'll come up with a wii nunchuck project and post about it too. :) Thanks again!