Ubuntu Port Binding

sablefoxx

(Ubuntu 8.04) So im running vibe streamer (in wine). Its basically a webserver that streams MP3s for you. I'm trying to set it up on port 80 so i can listen to it at school (almost all the other ports are blocked). But when i try to set vibe streamer's port to 80 i get a

"2008-10-26 17:50:53 Webserver could not be started (Could not bind socket to (All unassigned) port (80))"

But 8080 (and all the higher ports) work fine, why is this? Is there a way to find what is bound to port 80 or just assign vibe streamer to port 80.

(Ubuntu 8.04) So im running vibe streamer (in wine). Its basically a webserver that streams MP3s for you. I'm trying to set it up on port 80 so i can listen to it at school (almost all the other ports are blocked). But when i try to set vibe streamer's port to 80 i get a

"2008-10-26 17:50:53 Webserver could not be started (Could not bind socket to (All unassigned) port (80))"

But 8080 (and all the higher ports) work fine, why is this? Is there a way to find what is bound to port 80 or just assign vibe streamer to port 80.

You need to run wine as root. Only root can have a program open a listening port in the range 1 to 1024.

im an idoit...

:rolleyes: thx sparda

so in case anyone runs into this problem and doesnt know what "run wine as root" means (most ppl running linux im sure alrdy know how to do it but there are noobs out there).

Open terminal and type:

sudu su

cd .\wine\c_drive\program files\vibestreamer

wine vibestreamer.exe