BT4 Final on USB Multipass

muffpirate

Like the title says, I have everything set up properly, konboot runs fine. But BT4 gives me an error in its startup.

I feel that my menu.lst doesn't have the proper info in it and/or I have a file conflict somewhere, possibly with casper?

I will try and gather the error message and post it up later for some clarification. But any ideas or tutorials on how it's been done already would be of great help.

Thx!

EDIT: here is a photo of BT4 error on bootup: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/j_obN...feat=directlink

I just gave it a shot and it worked perfectly fine with the same menu.lst entry I used for the Pre-Final. Here is what I am using:

title BackTrack 4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz
boot

Note: Extract the ISO to the root of your USB device, then rename the "boot" folder to "bootbt4" (no quotes).

Hey thanks Rain! Your title code made it work. I think this is the one I was using:

title BackTrack 4 FINAL
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz
boot

No problem. In cause your interested in why what you had was not working, you did not supply the "boot" option for the kernel, so it did not know what to boot from (casper in this case).

No problem. In cause your interested in why what you had was not working, you did not supply the "boot" option for the kernel, so it did not know what to boot from (casper in this case).

I do not believe that is the reason... "boot" is not needed, and does not pertain to the OS you are booting. It is used for chainloads that have been done through the command line and aren't a menu option.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have been trying to get backtrack 4 to boot off of my multipass. I used the above code for my menu.lst and I renamed the boot folder to bootbt4. My computer ATTEMPTS to boot bt4, but I get this:

Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0X0B

[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x4760d0]

[Linux-initrd @ 0x6f647000, 0x828d95 bytes]

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

ata 3: softreset failed (device not ready)

Loading, please wait...

sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

Then it times out. What is going on?!

I apologize but I don't know what an md5sum is, or how to verify it, how would I do this? Also, I haven't run it on a virtual machine, but what would be the benefit of that? If it isn't working on a computer, how is the VM going to help? Isn't the purpose of having the VM so that you can test it without having to restart your computer all the time, or am I missing something?

Thanks everyone for the replies, hopefully we can figure this out!

I apologize but I don't know what an md5sum is, or how to verify it, how would I do this?

See here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/back...5-checking.html

Also, I haven't run it on a virtual machine, but what would be the benefit of that? If it isn't working on a computer, how is the VM going to help? Isn't the purpose of having the VM so that you can test it without having to restart your computer all the time, or am I missing something?

Thanks everyone for the replies, hopefully we can figure this out!

Sometimes, it is easier to run it in a VM, since you don't need to worry about the specs yer machine has - wireless card etc.

I've run it in a VM using my Alfa usb card, so that I can do penetration testing without bothering to boot into a second OS.