WiFi Pineapple

Go to solution Solved by dark_pyrro,

I've just bought a new WiFi Pineapple, but it's not functioning properly, and I'm unable to perform even basic tasks that we basically do it without any problem.

I can't install modules through the graphical interface. When I tried also to do it through the web shell using the following command:

Get "https://storage.googleapis.com/hak5-dl.appspot.com/wifipineapplemk7/modules/nmap/nmap-1.3.1.tar.gz"

I received the following error:

context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers) 

This suggests that the device is unstable and unable to complete the request correctly, even for something as basic as this. I assume the same issue occurs with the graphical interface since it can't install modules through it either.

Even when I tried to do a Reset for the firmware, the WiFi Pineapple is not able to perform the requests properly and can't download the version of the firmware. 

Could you please help me resolve this issue?

What is your network setup like? How does the Pineapple connect to the Internet? Anything that would obstruct things on the way? Tried a different network (phone hotspot, or such)? Is this done from some country with known restrictions when it comes to the internet? (etc...)

I've had the Mark VII for years now and never had any issues (and other Pineapple generations before that), so I would not be that quick to blame the Pineapple.

I've tested several configurations:

1. Wireless Client Mode
  2. Internet Connection Sharing via phone
  3. USB Ethernet Adapter

The most stable option among these is the USB Ethernet Adapter. However, even with this setup, I’m still unable to install modules. I’ve included details of the current setup and some screenshots to clarify the situation.

This is the screenshot of the setup

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EmhxdoiPpgJs8xNQwOG_-7jmvxYvZMaO/view?usp=sharing

these are the screenshots in the interface to describe the problem : 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c1jKeMMOdu_qtYRiZ9F0eQsOuy1jIANM/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N2bLElSYh3A6Q20Ssw9P5rcljbNBd1oe/view?usp=drive_link

By the way what I meant by Get command is to illustrate an example to download files which you can do it  through "wget" for example or any other alternative compatible : "wget package_url".

Did you make sure that there are no "concurrent" ways of the Pineapple to reach the internet. I can see that you have both the USB-C connected to the computer at the same time as the Ethernet adapter. If you have configured ICS at some point (or tried to use it), or reset the Pineapple, you might have set the IP address of that interface (the USB-C one) to 172.16.42.42, an IP address which the Pineapple expects to get outside world access via. If having that set up and also run WiFi client mode, or via USB Ethernet (the Type A port of the Pineapple along with an attached adapter), it might screw things up. Try to isolate things and make sure the Pineapple just has one way of reaching the internet. Not that it really should matter if I remember it correctly, but it's a good start to try to narrow things down when troubleshooting and "close doors that doesn't need to be open". Also try to connect to the Pineapple via the management AP. I saw in one of your screenshots that you ran the web UI using an IP address that isn't native to the Pineapple, but the one it gets from the Ethernet connection. Shouldn't matter either as I remember it, but, once again, try to isolate things and not mix several setups (if that is the case).

Hi, I did not mix several setups I tried then one by one separately and the image was to illustrate that I tried different setups and as you said it shouldn't matter.

I also recorded two videos of tests with different setups:
  1. USB Ethernet Adapter, where the requests are perpetually pending:
  • Wireless Client Mode, where the requests also remain pending:

As you can see that the request always remain pending whatever the configuration used.

Is there any solution that I can do in order to solve my problem ? because as you can see that it has a lot of trouble in order to perform them.

When you try to connect to the wireless network in the list, it looks like you are connecting to an ESSID that is broadcasted by the Pineapple itself. I.e. you have set the Pineapple up to add ESSIDs to the pool as they are discovered, and then broadcast the pool. Look at the MAC address/BSSID of the AP that you are connecting to.

You are right. Those WiFi SSID are indeed being broadcast by the device.We reset the Pineapple with no configuration, connecting only via Ethernet, and despite that, there’s no response after 30 seconds. The Pineapple stops responding, and the requests remain pending until they timeout regardless of the method to connect the WiFi Pineapple.

Even after following the documentation on how to reset the WiFi Pineapple, we’re wondering how this is possible when we haven’t configured anything, yet the Pineapple is still spamming Wi-Fi networks by broadcasting them. By the way, the WiFi Pineapple was powered by an external battery to avoid other complications, keeping it separate.

Is this really a proper reset with the strict minimum of configuration or not ? (The blinking red light and so on as described in the official documentation...).

7 minutes ago, ELYES_Pineapple said:

we haven’t configured anything, yet the Pineapple is still spamming Wi-Fi networks by broadcasting them

This shouldn't be happening on an "out of the box" Pineapple (which it can be considered when doing a factory reset).

9 minutes ago, ELYES_Pineapple said:

Is this really a proper reset with the strict minimum of configuration or not ?

Not 100% what you are referring to, but this is the factory reset procedure in the official docs

https://docs.hak5.org/wifi-pineapple/faq/factory-reset-and-recovery

Same problem... this is not about user setup, it seems to be about incomplete docs explaining how to download modules and packages.

I try to connect via wlan2 and I get this:

Wireless Client Mode

refresh

Network SSID: MySSID_2.4GHzIP Address: No IP Address yet
Interface: wlan2

I waited a bit and got an IP address 

Wireless Client Mode

refresh

Network SSID: JNHQT_2.4GHzIP Address: 192.168.1.47
Interface: wlan2

so I can connect that way and can see the modules and packages list inside the pineapple web interface

wifi ok, but wired and USB not working yet

I tried also with a USB - gigabit adaptor for direct wired connection, but nothing happened

I try to do wired internet sharing via laptop, and it will take DHCP and generate 172.16.42.xxx I can't set it to /42.42
Edited by Anteros

15 hours ago, Anteros said:

this is not about user setup, it seems to be about incomplete docs explaining how to download modules and packages

Where is the docs incomplete regarding modules and packages? I can't see how this is complicated or failing in any way because of the docs being incomplete.

I tried also with a USB - gigabit adaptor for direct wired connection, but nothing happened

What USB Ethernet adapter did you use? Or, more specifically, what chipset is the USB Ethernet adapter using?

I try to do wired internet sharing via laptop, and it will take DHCP and generate 172.16.42.xxx I can't set it to /42.42

Not sure about the last part since "/42.42" isn't any correct CIDR notation. The interface that is created on the machine that the Pineapple is connected to using the USB-C port of the Pineapple should be set to the static address of 172.16.42.42 to get ICS working (if that is what you are referring to when saying "wired internet sharing via laptop"). I wouldn't complicate things though if you've already successfully connected the Pineapple to a WiFi network as a client using the wlan2 interface. Use that connection type, it's the most easy way to get the Pineapple online.

We followed the method outlined in your link to reset the device to factory settings, carefully following all the steps. However, the issue persists: the waiting time is still too long. This is a quick video to indicate that we did it on the proper way: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-PoEDfjP3iMikPHEGB2_lumtsuFU7Tu7/view?usp=sharing

We even attempted to install a previous firmware version (2.1.0) to see if the problem was related to the latest version, but the device rejected this version and displayed an error message like the screenshot shows

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-fGTcYsWKHf1oPnBa1Mru9tPgfhPAPj8/view?usp=sharing

It was just too long to record the whole process and I explained it briefly.

I redid a video for you where I display step by step the factory reset requested and as you can see that the problem always remain:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-oblYs_CpAg8lp7bWUPoVggaaxkASvaI/view?usp=sharing

As a result the Pineapple stops responding, and the requests remain pending until they timeout repeatedly even with a Factory Reset.

• Solution

30 seconds of that video would have been enough in order to tell you that you are still doing the factory reset in an incorrect way.

The documentation that is about the factory reset procedure clearly states that you should use the recovery image. It even has a screenshot of the download page that shows the line with the recovery image (with the release date and the checksum still being the same up to this date, so it can't be mixed up with some other file available for download). The documentation also clearly states; "Do not attempt to flash a normal WiFi Pineapple firmware now - it won't work!", and despite that, you are trying to use a normal firmware update file (2.1.0 and 2.1.3 in the different videos you have posted this far) in the recovery phase. Not the recovery file. The flash error page you get also explicitly tell you to be sure to use the recovery firmware. So... you are actually not "carefully following all the steps" in the linked documentation which results in you not being successful in what you are trying to do when it comes to doing a proper factory reset of the Pineapple.

• Like 1