key croc factory reset not working

Fitzy789
Go to solution Solved by Fitzy789,

Hello I have been on a bit of a hiatus from hacking and general tech enthusiasm. And recently started getting back into things and i have been going through all my devices. I have been struggling to get my key croc to work as when I would connect it, it would work fine (as in the keyboard would type) but none of my payloads would work and it wouldn't key log. to counter this i factory reset it and it seemed to work fine but after it was factory reset nothing had changed as in it was the same firmware and the config file still had my ssid and password saved. to add to this it also struggled to be detected by my computer when it was in arming mode. any help would be greatly appreciated 

45 minutes ago, Fitzy789 said:

but after it was factory reset nothing had changed as in it was the same firmware

What firmware did it have before the factory reset?

45 minutes ago, Fitzy789 said:

the config file still had my ssid and password saved

It's there because the udisk is left untouched in large aspects on a factory reset.

There's of course also a possibility that the factory reset wasn't successful.

1 hour ago, Fitzy789 said:

it also struggled to be detected by my computer when it was in arming mode

In what way does this show? Isn't it entering arming mode straight away? Does it enter arming mode after a while (like after 1 minute roughly)? Is Cloud C2 configured on the Croc?

1 minute ago, dark_pyrro said:

What firmware did it have before the factory reset?

It's there because the udisk is left untouched in large aspects on a factory reset.

There's of course also a possibility that the factory reset wasn't successful.

In what way does this show? Isn't it entering arming mode straight away? Does it enter arming mode after a while (like after 1 minute roughly)? Is Cloud C2 configured on the Croc?

when its in arming mode it doesn't show up on my computer like its not being detected 

1 minute ago, dark_pyrro said:

Update: for the fact its not being able to be recognized by the computer i think this is due to the usb being worn (i think the data line as the power light is normal and uninterrupted) as for the software i am unable to find what the ip is to ssh into the croc and the usb problem is consistent with every usb ive plugged in to. so im unsure how to progress is it just tuff luck or am i able to try get it repaired or do i just have to buy a new one. Its quite frustrating as ive never had this problem with any other hak5 devices. any advice on how to progress would be appreciated 

its not being able to be recognized by the computer i think this is due to the usb being worn (i think the data line

On 6/19/2024 at 4:40 PM, Fitzy789 said:

it would work fine (as in the keyboard would type)

It seems to be rather non logic that it's the data line being faulty if the keyboard succeeds in passing through keystrokes when the Croc sits in line between the PC and the keyboard

if it's not covered by warranty any longer, it's always possible to crack it open (which will void warranty) and check the soldering to verify if any cable isn't connected to the PCB properly (or, solder a new cable and USB connector to the PCB to eliminate any broken cable inside the "pigtail")

i am unable to find what the ip is to ssh into the croc

to get an IP to ssh into, you need to configure the Croc to connect as a client to some WiFi network (or create a payload using a network attackmode), but since you can't get it into arming mode, you can't reach the config file or payload file on the udisk, try (as I said in the previous post) to connect to the Croc using serial instead when it is assumed to be in arming mode (even if it fails to mount as a storage device to the PC it's connected to)

am i able to try get it repaired

if you've had the Croc for a while, I doubt that it would be covered by warranty, but you could always try to submit a support ticket and ask

• Solution

I have opened it up and have found one of the main cables that go into the wire is basically snapped im guessing its the data one its been about 2 years since i bought this and i am pretty sure this is the reason and unfortunately i wont be able to get a refund or replacement thank you for your help though.