Q: A way to show a live activity log for a long period of time

ApTestUser

I'm trying to keep the activity log live on screen for a lengthy period of time. Currently I can set it to 100 items per page and go to the last page and it'll stay at the bottom and add the latest activity at the bottom, however after 100 entries I need to press next page again. (Also, if I do any manual scrolling new entries get pushed below the page bottom without the page staying scroll down)

Easiest solution for this would probably be to raise the items per page to a much larger amount. Is this possible to do somehow? Maybe in a config? 

Other than that I've heard we used to echo the log file but I think it was mentioned the format changed and it's harder to do now? I saw it was an sqlite3.db file but I've not managed to find a way to echo changes yet. 

Is there any specific "items" in the database (or log output) that you want to observe over time? Do you want to "monitor" it on the Pineapple or some device that is connected to the Pineapple? The use case needs to be a bit more detailed to be able to suggest possible ways to solve it all.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:32 PM, dark_pyrro said:

Is there any specific "items" in the database (or log output) that you want to observe over time? Do you want to "monitor" it on the Pineapple or some device that is connected to the Pineapple? The use case needs to be a bit more detailed to be able to suggest possible ways to solve it all.

Basically its to surprise people walking in with their own propagated SSIDs (from items they're carrying around, phones mostly). There's a big screen that shows them coming up as they appear (or trying to at least). 

I would probably use the REST API. And, instead of using the log, I would most likely tell the Pineapple to capture ESSIDs to pool and then read from the pool using the API and display them on the big screen based on that API result. It depends on if you want ESSIDs to go away from the list after a while or not. You could read the log using the REST API as well, but I seem to remember that there is some bug linked to that specifically. Getting the system log is OK, but when following the API spec it just throws back errors when trying to get PineAP events from the log.

There's an unofficial Ruby based "API" as well, but I guess it's best to stick with the officially supported way of doing things.