Brand new Mark VII - Flashing firmware always fails

baud
Go to solution Solved by dark_pyrro,

Hello all, first post unfortunately is a support question. I just received a Pineapple Mark VII and it fails to flash firmware every time I try. I have flashed the recovery image several times and that works fine, installing the actual OS is what keeps failing. I've tried manually uploading the latest firmware, and the previous latest firmware (verified hash on both). I've also tried having it download it from the internet. Nothing works, is this thing just broken? Error below:

FLASH ERROR
A flash error was detected on your device.

It appears that your device has been flashed improperly, and will not function correctly.

Please restore your device using the recovery process documented at
https://docs.hak5.org/wifi-pineapple/faq/factory-reset-and-recovery

Remember you MUST flash the RECOVERY/STAGER FIRMWARE first before flashing the full firmware.

Could be a faulty flash storage device. It has happened before to users. Using firmwares before 2.x works since it didn't have built in checks for faulty flash devices, but as it was introduced in 2.x you might get that kind of error if upgrading to those firmware versions. I would suggest submitting a support ticket.

• Upvote 1

This seems to be the issue, as I'm able to flash and use 1.1.1-stable just fine. I've installed several modules and have been using it since your post yesterday. Is the only way to update beyond 1.x to open a ticket or RMA this thing? What good is the faulty flash device check if it just keeps me from updating, when clearly 1.1.1 is working fine? Would you be able to point me in the direction of how to open a ticket to discuss this issue? Thanks for the help.

• Solution
22 minutes ago, baud said:

What good is the faulty flash device check if it just keeps me from updating, when clearly 1.1.1 is working fine?

Even if 1.1.1 works fine, there's still a potentially faulty flash storage device, and you don't want that. Just because you're running 1.1.1 doesn't make it go away, it's still there.

23 minutes ago, baud said:

Would you be able to point me in the direction of how to open a ticket to discuss this issue?

https://hak5.customerdesk.io/

1 minute ago, dark_pyrro said:

Even if 1.1.1 works fine, there's still a potentially faulty flash storage device, and you don't want that. Just because you're running 1.1.1 doesn't make it go away, it's still there.

I'm not trying to sound disrespectful or anything here, but this is something that would be easily caught prior to shipping if Hak5 just loaded firmware on the device before shipping it. No one should receive a brick in the mail for $100+. I appreciate your support, thank you.