Trying to factory reset LAN Turtle

cowoftheball

I'm hoping for some tips to try. I recently got a lan turtle and was having troubles getting it to take a dhcp address for my router. So I decided to try changing the internal lan ip address of the lan turtle to match my router dhcp setup. Well after doing this I was unable to ssh into the lan turtle. I tried factory resetting it by following the guide but I'm having troubles getting it to boot at all now. The green light comes on but that's it. I've probably rebooted it while holding down the reset button over 50 times at this point. While the cover was off I noticed that one of the black ground wires had come loose so I soldered that back on, but still no luck. Just to see, I decided to resolder all of the usb wires on the board, but even after this I'm still not having any luck. Occasionally the amber light will come on but I still cannot get to the factory reset webpage. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Have you ever been able to reach the firmware recovery web page on the Turtle? It's a bit unclear to me. You say

14 hours ago, cowoftheball said:

I've probably rebooted it while holding down the reset button over 50 times at this point

and

14 hours ago, cowoftheball said:

but I still cannot get to the factory reset webpage.

So, from that I assume that you've tried to put the Turtle in recovery mode, but you haven't been able to reach the firmware recovery web page.

If so, can you ping the Turtle on 192.168.1.1 when you've put it in recovery mode?

Are you getting an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range on the device to which you connect the Turtle?

Regardless of getting any IP address, does it show any networking interface at all on the device to which you connect the Turtle, i.e. do you get a network interface showing up?

What device are you connecting the Turtle to? OS?

I also assume that you are trying to connect to the Turtle using the USB side of it, not the Eth RJ45 port side of it.

I can't be the judge of your soldering skills, but pictures of both sides of the PCB where you have done some soldering operations would be good in order to see if there is some bad soldering.

I was able to reach the firmware recovery page once, but I disconnected and reconnected the lan turtle and upon reconnection I was again unable to reach the recovery page. I've been observing the two LED's on the cat5 port of the lan turtle when plugging the usb into my computer. The one time I was able to reach the recovery page both the orange and green led lit up when plugging in the usb and then the orange light went out after a second but the green light remained lit. I'm not sure if this was just coincidence. Every other time I plug the usb in while holding down the reset button only the green light illuminates. The orange light doesn't come on at all. I do see the lan turtle every time I plug in the usb.

I'm plugging it into a Windows 11 computer and then attaching it to a Kali Linux VM box. The MAC address that Kali sees matches the MAC address of the USB side of the lan turtle. When this happens, I'll run ifconfig and I'll see the lan turtle attached to Eth1, but it does not automatically receive any dhcp address automatically. The one time I was able to get to the recovery page as I mentioned at the beginning of this post the lan turtle did receive an IPv4 address of 192.168.1.11. When going to that web address the recovery page loaded in my browser. At that point I unplugged the lan turtle and plugged it back in to see if I could get there again, but I haven't been able to for some reason.

I did follow some advice I found here:

and after doing this I do have a static IP assigned to the lan turtle of 192.168.1.2 which I can ping, but I was still unable to reach the recovery page at 192.168.1.1.

I will attach a picture of both sides of the board to show the solder points for the usb cable. I did use a multimeter after soldering the verify continuity across each wire.

https://imgur.com/a/r62JaTa