Vmware 5.0.0

Hefox

Hi guys,

Does anybody know how to set up the iso image on the multipass usb stick?

I've managed to put Memtest86+, Ubuntu 11.4, Kaspersky Rescue disk and Kon-boot.

Also I have problems adding the usb picture. I did exactly the steps from the episode but it doesn't work. Set it up 640X480, 14 colors, save it as xpm, gzip it and enter it to the menu (splashimage ...). Any ideas?

Thank you.

Does anybody know how to set up the iso image on the multipass usb stick?

I've managed to put Memtest86+, Ubuntu 11.4, Kaspersky Rescue disk and Kon-boot.

Which live CD is this from? If you can provide a link i can poke around while someone else replies.

Also provide what bootloader you are using.

Also I have problems adding the usb picture. I did exactly the steps from the episode but it doesn't work. Set it up 640X480, 14 colors, save it as xpm, gzip it and enter it to the menu (splashimage ...). Any ideas?

Thank you.

Easiest way to get this done is using imagemagick. If you are using windows you will need to grab the binary from here:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows

Depending on your unix distro its as easy as emerge/yum/apt-get im assuming you're using windoze so the above will be fine.

If you plan on doing any modifications to a image do so and save as a jpg/png or whatever.. I generally do it this way since that's the final image and its the second to the last step before the conversion.

last you would either drop to a shell or cmdprompt and run

convert whateveryoucalledyourimage.jpg -resize 640x480 -colors 14 -depth 8 imagenameyouwant.xpm.gz

Copy the xpm.gz'd image to wherever you store your images on the usb and make sure that location is reflected in the bootloader. In my case im using grub4dos so this is a example of my root menu.lst

splashimage (hd0,0)/system/wall/tasty.brisket.xpm.gz

Thank you D1g1ta1. I've sorted the problem with the image. Apparently Gimp in windows doesn't save a compatibil version of xpm with Grub. I had to use ImageMagick and convert the files from bmp to xpm.

It's esxi 5.0.0, the free version. I'm a novice in this "department" so please be more understanding. :)

Thanks.

Thank you D1g1ta1. I've sorted the problem with the image. Apparently Gimp in windows doesn't save a compatibil version of xpm with Grub. I had to use ImageMagick and convert the files from bmp to xpm.

Cool.

It's esxi 5.0.0, the free version. I'm a novice in this "department" so please be more understanding. :)

It requires you to register.. f that s ...

You may want to check the link here since it looks like someone has a working boot for esxi:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/327126

I did but this is not what I'm looking for. Doesn't say anything how to set it up for grub4dos and how to set up an usb to have multipass with esxi. Maybe it's me and I don't get. Maybe you can help. Thanks.

Really? The script he setup makes it extremely easy.

It strips out the crap from VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0-469512.x86_64.iso and VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD-3.5.0_Update_5-207095.i386.iso

and creates an iso called: moa-esxi-rescue-cd.iso

There is a app called imgdisk which i use. it mounts isos on the fly and allows for modification of said ISO (on the fly) if need be.

Link here: ImgDisk

Why did i bring this up? Well once you have created the iso (moa-esxi-rescue-cd.iso) from the script in make-moa-esxi-rescue-cd.zip you can mount it with ImDisk. Right clicking on the iso in the file manager and selecting "Mount as ImDisk Virtual Disk" it will pop up a dialog box just click ok as the default settings will work fine.

Once you mount it a drive will appear called MOA-ESXI-RESCUE. in that virtual CD you will notice two files esxi35-live.iso and esxi50-live.iso and a grub for dos menu.lst which gives you an idea how you are going to set this up on your USB...

this is the entries on the menu.lst..

title run ESXi 5.0 from CD

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /esxi50-live.iso
 map /esxi50-live.iso (hd32)
 map --hook
 chainloader (hd32)

title run ESXi 3.5 from CD

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /esxi35-live.iso
 map  /esxi35-live.iso (hd32)
 map --hook
 chainloader (hd32)

So all i did was copy the two isos from that virtual drive to the directory that holds my isos on my usb drive and changed the entries on my menu.lst to:

title run ESXi 5.0 from CD\nnote the root password is: sanbarrow

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /system/images/esxi50-live.iso
 map /system/images/esxi50-live.iso (hd32)
 map --hook
 chainloader (hd32)

title run ESXi 3.5 from CD\nnote the root password is: sanbarrow

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /system/images/esxi35-live.iso
 map  /system/images/esxi35-live.iso (hd32)
 map --hook
 chainloader (hd32)

I was able to boot both of these with no issues. Any issues with that script you are going to have to post on that forum and not here.. I also looked through the iso VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0-469512.x86_64.iso and its a total clusterfuck (All these module loads...) so i think this is why the guy from that forum post figured out a more elegant / easy way to get this running..

Edited by D1g1ta1