Hak5 Gaming servers.

Joeeigel

I agree with Steve. Until we get people situated with the server or until we get more dedi's running, we should hold off on major mods like ZS or GG. However, I do like the idea about having "special events". They could make some nice LAN segments or just random days of fun which people could look forward to.

Some kind of map rotation system and RTV kinda thing is good too.

Custom maps will also make it a fun server. Nothing too chaotic though but something that will still be pleasing to casual gamers.

I can't wait to see how the CSS server grows (simply because I suck at TF2 and CSS is the only kind of FPS play style that fits me lol).

• 1 month later...

Don't be cheap just by the $20 game you cheap ass.

You've played it enough to be worth the $20!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some of the TF2 maps that we have been playing lately. I hope that I am able to connect to the next LAN party. Thanks!

CP-Steel

CP- Turbine

Balloon Race, Very different type of map

CP- Orange_X3, Low grav, 100% CRIT

I think that most of these are available through the following links.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/games/297

http://www.tf2maps.net/

Don't know if it would fit the bill or not but you could also run a server with gameservers.com. I used to run a Quake3 server for a while.

Costs about $15/month. (prob about the same as would cost to run a dedicated PC at home for the the month). If you have a certain MOD you need setup they will help you get it running

I used to run the excessive mod for Q3

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hey if you need me to host any servers i can. i work at a datacenter and one of my servers is up there, its a dual opteron 250 (soon to be a dual 290) with 8gb of ram on Verizon DS3 (40mb up/down) and soon we're getting a Gig line :-D

• 1 month later...

other then a good server hosting the games how about an idea I thought of. Why not stream (maybe even record) the games over the hakhouse stream or maybe another one? sure some people don't have the games or cant get on in time to play but at least they could watch and see who pwns and who gets pwned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Can we have a shattered Horizon server???!!! I play Shattered Horizon now, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, maybe we should also have a Battlefield Bad Company 2 server, as well as the first BC, AND ALL the BF games and Call of Duty games for tht matter

• 1 year later...

2 of my favorite mods for CSS back when i used to play were no-blocking and Knife Syphon

No blocking allowed you to run through teammates and enemys, and its main implementation was to get rid of the most common noob problem of them just standing their blocking the way so that you get killed along with them.

Knife syphon was awsome (at least for knifers :P). when you killed someone with a knife, you took some of the damage that you dealt them as health.

both of them together made it difficult to kill knifers, esp when they could run through you, pivit slightly, and get a backstab on you. It does make a server more interesting by giving ppl who like to knife a fighting chance.

QUOTE (drumthrasher109 @ Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:14:36 +0000) Is the CS:S server non-steam or steam? Please say non-steam...

Srry man, but it's Steam.

I think u can get the disc tho, I've never got the actual disc b4, I've only bought of the Steam store, so I don't no if u still need steam.

Srry 4 the double post.

When i first purchased CSS in a store, it came with the disc. When you install it it installs the files AND steam. you cannot access the game unless you do it through steam, and steam needs an internet connection for first time users and to perform the initial update.

CSS was my first steam game though

• 6 months later...

If anybody needs a server to host anything just let me know i have fast internet and a 2u hp proliant g6 12 gigs of ram . I really dont want anything for it but if you get any dontations a little would not hurt for electricity . But other than that let me know. right now it is not doing much. I dont want money just like to help out