soundfont on pc keyboard

RogueHart

okay my understanding of sound fonts are basically mapping different instruments to the keys on a midi keyboard. well i dont have nor can i afford a midi keyboard.

so i was wondering if theres a free(preferably open source but doesnt matter) program out there that can use the pc keyboard as a midi keyboard that i could map soundfonts to. i ask because it would be a lot of help in my music studio class this year. its not required but it would save me ungodly amounts of time and effort.

thx for any replies

edit

windows xp pro sp2

just a shot in the dark but if you were using a mac i think I THINK that garage band does it but what you mean by a "pc" keyboard is windows then i think I THINK your sol man

yeah im windows lol. thanks for the help though. edited my post

Modplug Tracker ftw!

Assign a VSTi or sample to an instrument, type away. Q, A and Z are all the note C in increasing octaves as you go down the keyboard and all the keys in between are... well, the notes in between. Q©, W(C#), E(D), R(D#), T(E), Y(F), U(F#), I(G), O(G), P(G#), [(A), etc.

Modplug Tracker ftw!

Assign a VSTi or sample to an instrument, type away. Q, A and Z are all the note C in increasing octaves as you go down the keyboard and all the keys in between are... well, the notes in between. Q©, W(C#), E(D), R(D#), T(E), Y(F), U(F#), I(G), O(G), P(G#), [(A), etc.

sweet! thx again moonlit lol