Episode 3x02 Power from Cat5 question

davil

Hi all,

I have a couple of quick questions....

waaaaaaaay back in Season 3 Wess did a mod on a WRT54G to get it to run on power from a Cat5 cable. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if this will run off an Original XBOX ethernet port? also will the port that's being used for power still work for data, i.e. Will I be able to power it from the XBOX and still be able to route wifi into it if I set-up the router as a bridge? Because as u may already have guessed I'm trying to cheap out on buying an original xbox wifi adapter

I've ordered a WRT54G on ebay and am considering installing either DD-WRT or tomato. But I suppose it's possible I won't need either just to use it as a wireless ethernet bridge ?

I can just use the plug if needed but it would be nice to have it run from the XBOX power.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Any help is much appreciated.

[edit] P.S. my current router is 3-Com and I'm not sure if I can setup the wrt54g as a wireless ethernet bridge to connect to the 3-Com one?[/edit]

If XBox's internal PSU can supplie the voltage your WRT54G wants, then it should work, even though cat5/6 cables have 8 cores, only 4 are used for data. You won't be able to use the Ethernet cable that came with the Xbox probably has 4 cores missing.

The danger is the WRT54G will cause the PSU in the Xbox to supply more power than it's rated for, the result will be a dead Xbox PSU.