purchasing a new fon for this hack?

I'm still trying to get ahold of a fon for this hack and to possibly recycle the fon as a wifi enabled RC plane. Should I try to get an older fon with an older firmware or would it still be possible to use a fon purchased directly from them? Anyone on here have one they would like to sell? I highly doubt it but it's worth a try.

old quote re instated *google is ur friend*... what you need to do is look at the web page for openwrt and see if the newer firmware is an issue. If it isent possability it wont brick on you... things like this always need to be taken with a grain of salt cuz if u phail... and its a possability... whoops 20 bucks plus whatever just shot out my door! it takes a bit of skill and knowledge at times as well. I have seen people do some pritty tricky stuff within the base OS of the router and also it sometime takes some skill to get at the heart of your router. These things arent always as simple as they look. But for now id look around and see what you can find as far as information goes about this befor you go ahead with it. I bet you can find ppl around the netz skilled enough to load the base OS onto it for a price. *shrugs* so its a yes and no situation!

--- good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my Fon and it has the r1 firmware, so as of last week you can get a new Fon with the right firmware.

I purchased a Fonera + via Buy.com on Monday [sept. 28th]. I just got it yesterday and it has firmware version 1.1.0 r2. - I've never connected to the Netz either.

From the reading I've done the Fonera + (2201) is just a rework of the 2100 with the exception of it running cooler and having the extra port.

My problem is finding any relevant documentation on downgrading the firmware so I can get on my way in setting up Jasager. Any help of suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
I purchased a Fonera + via Buy.com on Monday [sept. 28th]. I just got it yesterday and it has firmware version 1.1.0 r2. - I've never connected to the Netz either.

From the reading I've done the Fonera + (2201) is just a rework of the 2100 with the exception of it running cooler and having the extra port.

My problem is finding any relevant documentation on downgrading the firmware so I can get on my way in setting up Jasager. Any help of suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Well after googling the internet, I've found some docs that this is only possible with the serial cable.

http://www.lefinnois.net/wpen/index.php/20...work-on-fonera/

Will try this within a few days... first have to create a serial cable for the Fon+

• 1 month later...
I'm still trying to get ahold of a fon for this hack and to possibly recycle the fon as a wifi enabled RC plane. Should I try to get an older fon with an older firmware or would it still be possible to use a fon purchased directly from them? Anyone on here have one they would like to sell? I highly doubt it but it's worth a try.

If your building a wifi enabled RC plane why use the Fon? The Fon was only really popular because they were giving them away for free or at a low price. Now they locked them down and increased the price there is no real point. If it's an RC plane just look for RouterBoard and buy something from them, it will run Linux and its the most hackable thing your find.

http://www.routerboard.com/