ipodtouch and itunes, please no more

Fblade1987

that's it fed up with itunes its using too much of my resources, slowing my machine down to the point cursor stops moving sad.gif

so what I'm asking is there alternatives I can use to do the following tasks.

A - Grab latest vidcasts and put them on, does not have to be vidcasts from itunes store or itune specific I don't mind go fetching the rss feeds.

B - the most important one allow me to transfer music across.

that's it really rest can do manually on the ipodtouch

thanks for you help matt

AdHoc distribution is one other way to get application on to the iTouch line of apple products, and even then you still have to use itune. You can "pwn" your iTouch and install apps using the installers. Other than that i do not have experience with these devices and what little experience i do have, playing with friends, I am not very comfortable with it.

Maybe try setting up a server at home and putting your music there and downloading it over wifi, it may be slow but then you don't have to deal with shitty iTunes anymore. Get HFS file server and drag your music folder on it, do not use an external i.p. then connect to the localhost i.p. and maybe that will work.

Link to hfs http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

Thanks, I'm actually thinking of just grabbing my old g4 mac mini out of the loft to do it but have no sockets so that's means unplugging my computer to plug mac in ¬_¬ which by the time it takes me to do that i may as well have waited for itunes to load so its a bugger really lol

Use iTunes... it works.

Well why don't you use the original Linux or XP Home that was originally intended to run on the eeePC.......IT WORKS!!!!!

I Think maybe why you have xp on is it's better suited to your needs? am I correct?

I don't want the bloatedness of Itunes, its not suited to my needs, as i would want something as basic and fast as foobar!!!! I don't want all this backing up your ipod, getting genius data(yes i know that can be turend off), or working out gappless play back and when ITUNEs uses 77,120K MEM usage well i want something a bit smaller on the load!

Next time you think your posting something that's Helpful think........As that to me is just a mindless excuse to get you post up

unless you was trying to be helpful :blink: then

errr..... thanks <_<

Well why don't you use the original Linux or XP Home that was originally intended to run on the eeePC.......IT WORKS!!!!!

I Think maybe why you have xp on is it's better suited to your needs? am I correct?

I don't want the bloatedness of Itunes, its not suited to my needs, as i would want something as basic and fast as foobar!!!! I don't want all this backing up your ipod, getting genius data(yes i know that can be turend off), or working out gappless play back and when ITUNEs uses 77,120K MEM usage well i want something a bit smaller on the load!

Next time you think your posting something that's Helpful think........As that to me is just a mindless excuse to get you post up

errr..... thanks <_<

Honestly, do you really think I'm bothered about my post count on the Hak.5 forums? 77MB of memory is nothing, do you have like 128MB of RAM in your computer? Do what I do, I only use iTunes when I put music on my ipod touch, every other time I use Winamp to play music. I use iTunes because it's supported, using some other third party app may fuck up my ipod. Don't accuse me of spamming just to get my post count up.

errr..... thanks <_<

have you even tried setting up a server and putting you music on it that way? An there are other means of installing shit to your iphone, pwnage tool... seriously those are the only ways atm.. Google my friend

Honestly, do you really think I'm bothered about my post count on the Hak.5 forums? 77MB of memory is nothing, do you have like 128MB of RAM in your computer? Do what I do, I only use iTunes when I put music on my ipod touch, every other time I use Winamp to play music. I use iTunes because it's supported, using some other third party app may fuck up my ipod. Don't accuse me of spamming just to get my post count up.

Okay, well sorry I must admit was hungover the morning I wrote that so my temper was some what limited, and you must see it from my point how that post seems. The usual case of a post like that is some immature fanboy, or someone who has total disregard for topic at hand and 9/10 thats the case, well it is sure the case for me in other forums.( I know welcome to the internet.....yada yada yada). I was just out for some advice.

As for the reply I have tried that but itunes noob here is I'm fed up of itunes automatically starting when I attach the ipod, and for some strange reason(the reason I want to get rid of it) even though I close Itunes 5 mins. later its starts back up, which ok 77 mb memory may not be much to some but on a gig and half RAM when your in middle of doing graphic rendering is not good at all... thats where the computer freezing comes from, I just thought I could get rid of it all together and just use something basic such as foobar but obviously not.

have you even tried setting up a server and putting you music on it that way? An there are other means of installing shit to your iphone, pwnage tool... seriously those are the only ways atm.. Google my friend

I do have my Ipod jailbroken but how would I go about doing something like this as I can't figure how to see the ipod music files without actually being on itunes?

I do have my Ipod jailbroken but how would I go about doing something like this as I can't figure how to see the ipod music files without actually being on itunes?

Serisouly, and you said tomb's comment was useless... Here

Did you buy the music from iTunes>YES>Fuck you, shits DRM'd

Did you buy the music from iTunes>NO>Download HFS>DRAG you iTunes Music folder into the dialog window>Connect to your HFS server via a web Browser>TRY to download the music that way.

or ssh and transfer that way?

Serisouly, and you said tomb's comment was useless... Here

Did you buy the music from iTunes>YES>Fuck you, shits DRM'd

Did you buy the music from iTunes>NO>Download HFS>DRAG you iTunes Music folder into the dialog window>Connect to your HFS server via a web Browser>TRY to download the music that way.

or ssh and transfer that way?

I know I've probably set my self for a world of flaming, but hey said I was sorry and explained myself, however still think I will get flamed from this point forward :P but I'm strong

Well I've tried downloading from web and I can't seem to download any music, so that idea maybe out of the window?

As for ssh I can see how that may work, but does anyone know where the folder is for the music and videos? I can't seem to find it anywhere

As Swathe's reply I didn't know you could actually turn that service off as, it seemed to be the case in the past with older gen ipod if I turned that off when I come to using my ipod with itunes, it would always fail to find the ipod, or come up with an error. But I will give it a try with the itouch and will let you know.

thanks

Da na na na na na na Bat man

Sync Your iPhone Wirelessly in Linux

Requirements: Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04), Jail broken Apple device

Step 1: Settings->General->Auto-Lock->"Never"

Step 2: Settings->Connect to Home Wi-Fi->Hit the little blue arrow next to it-> You'll see your IP address

Step 3:Hit the Static->Have your device always connect at that address

Step 4:Go back to Setting->General->Set "Auto-Lock" to "Never."

Step 5:run

apt-get install ipod-convenience

and

apt-get install libgpod3

Step 6:Hit "Reload" when prompted->Install the ipod-convenience package->While ipod-convenience is installing, you'll be asked for your iPhone IP address and mount point->Enter the IP address ->Accept the default mount point

Step 7:Plug iPod into computer w/ USB cable(NOTE: Only needs to be done once to establish ssh access)

Step 8:From a terminal enter

iphone-mount

or for iTouch

ipod-touch-mount

Step 9:Nothing will happen for a good 30-45 seconds or a little longer

Step 10:Prompt for ROOT@ password. Almost all firmwares use "alpine" as their password, but "dottie" should work in the others.

Step 11:Trade Music and Podcasts with Amarok

Step 12:Read rest of the article for your self

Step 13:????

Step 14:Profit

Via Life Hacker

Other Links to iTouch series in Linux.

Ubuntu Documentation

Gizmodo's Short Sweet ssh Guide

Life

Hackers Guide for Windows, Linux and Macs w/out iTunes

Now shower me in praise for googling

Thanks a lot for this guide and taking the time looking on google, however the guide you provided and looking over the the other documents, they don't work :( as I said in a previous post this must be down to some daft file permissions on it as I'm on 2.1, and after looking through those documents you've provided they seem to back my theory up.

It seems that I'm out of luck and may be best to just use the method TomB says, which is just itunes and only use it to use for syncing with ipod and use another music app to listen.

Thanks again though, and also sorry to anyone I annoyed.