What's your favorite source code editor?

10goto10

What's the source code editor that you use? I'm a webdeveloper (XHTML/PHP/JS/CSS), so I work on Windows to have constant access to IE. I used to work with Editpad Pro which worked like a charm. Unfortunately I had to ditch it because it wasn't free and had some annoying bugs. Functions I liked were fast-scrolling by using CTRL + mouse scrollwheel, highlighting search terms throughout the document, and the extensive search&replace.

I tried using Vim for Windows (as that's what I use on Linux) but I just work faster in a more Windows-like environement. I also tried the E Text Editor about a year ago (a Windows clone of the praised TextMate for OSX) but it was too basic had none of the really nice advanced features I'm after.

I'm now using PSPad which is freeware and has it's own nice features (for instance CTRL+SHIFT+UP selects the word at your cursor). Also most of the other advanced features I love are there: source reformatting, split windows, etc. Unfortunatly it also has some annoying bugs (hanging on FTP, for instance) and updates are slow.

So, I'd like to hear what else is out there. What's your favorite editor, and why?

Usually notepad for html/php/css/js, then Notepad ++ when I want to go back and check the errors to corresponding line numbers, but usually just notepad. C, I just use notepad since I don't have an IDE for C. VB I use Visual Studio 98 which is just Visual Basic 6.0(or VB6).

I see a lot of people using Notepad++ on Windows. Unfortunately I'd need to install a lot of plugins before I'd get PSPad's functionality (Function list, encoding conversion, hex editor, compare files, FTP synchronise, HTML tag matching, etc...).

I'm surprised to see no UltraEdit fanatics here :)

C/C++/C#/VB i use Visual Studio 2008

PHP/XHTML/CSS i use Dreamweaver

I'm kinda surprised that no one else has said that they use Dreamweaver for web development, though i guess i don't even use Dreamweavers built in functions and could easily replace it, but i just like the idea behind complete package, from design, to development then release.

I see a lot of people using Notepad++ on Windows. Unfortunately I'd need to install a lot of plugins before I'd get PSPad's functionality (Function list, encoding conversion, hex editor, compare files, FTP synchronise, HTML tag matching, etc...).

I'm surprised to see no UltraEdit fanatics here :)

Half of that functionality is already build into Notepad++, have you ever used it?

You make it sound like it's a bad thing that you have to install plugins in order to get some of those features, why so?

I see it as an advantage, it makes the application modular and more stable, since you could just uninstall a plugin if it isn't stable. You can remove features you don't use, making the editor faster and more stable. You get more features through plugins, as other developers can make more specific plugins which targets features only few people are using, where you may be one of them.

It's all like with a vanilla Firefox, it is outperformed by Opera by far features wise, but when you take the addons into account the roles are turned around...

You make it sound like it's a bad thing that you have to install plugins in order to get some of those features, why so?

I see it as an advantage, it makes the application modular and more stable, since you could just uninstall a plugin if it isn't stable. You can remove features you don't use, making the editor faster and more stable. You get more features through plugins, as other developers can make more specific plugins which targets features only few people are using, where you may be one of them.

It's all like with a vanilla Firefox, it is outperformed by Opera by far features wise, but when you take the addons into account the roles are turned around...

I think for a plain-text text editor, not having usefull features built in because of performance or stability issues should not be an argument. I can't see a text editor doing anything that a modern computer can't handle with ease. That said, plugins are ofcourse a god-sent gift for anybody who likes to customize his/her software.

I have never used Notepad++, I just saw this big list of plugins which all had the functionality I needed, and I didn't feel like installing 8 plugins. Maybe on a lazy sunday afternoon...

if its not the ide for the language then its crimson editor. i like it because i do a lot of scripting in games and such and since none of those have their own ide's i use crimson editor. it lets you edit how things are highlighted. like for html you can put anything between a < and a > is one color. basically you choose what words begin the syntax highlighting and what color it will be.

so far i only made one for wolfenstein enemy territory and WoW xml.

Bloodshed, but i JUST started coding (any good tuts?)

I always heard good on Notepad ++ but never used it. Is it good for newbies?

thanks

Yup notepad++ is good for newbies, just like normal notepad but with syntax highlighting (and heaps of other features and settings)

I use notepad++ in windows, Kate with KDE and nano for while I'm using bash.

I think that DPHPedit is a very good tool when mixing together html and php stuff!

When I deal with HTML/CSS I use dreamweaver...

For .NET development I use VS 2005... a little bit outdated but performs very well still today

C/C++ -> DevCPP

What about assembly?!! Yeah, IMHO the great old borland turbo assembler (TASM) is THE choice!! (yes, TASM is a 16/32 bit assembler!!!)