Acer Aspire One - Kismet

Xarf

Hi, all. When I boot into Kismet (Backtrack 3) on my Acer Aspire One I get the option: Which network device do I want to use.

Wifi0 or Ath0, if I choose Wifi0 Kismet loads up but doesn't show any access points/broadcasting devices etc (Wifi0 is 'no wireless extensions' in iwconfig).

If I choose Ath0 Kismet shows some code (As if it were going to open the GUI) then closes and does not re-open. Then when I go to kismet again it shows: 'Do you want to use: Wifi0, Ath0 or Ath1?'

This goes on and on, Ath0, 1, 2, 3 etc all appear each time kismet opens (Not fully opens) it creates a new Ath adapter showing as IEEE 802.11.

Any advice?

Hi, all. When I boot into Kismet (Backtrack 3) on my Acer Aspire One I get the option: Which network device do I want to use.

Wifi0 or Ath0, if I choose Wifi0 Kismet loads up but doesn't show any access points/broadcasting devices etc (Wifi0 is 'no wireless extensions' in iwconfig).

If I choose Ath0 Kismet shows some code (As if it were going to open the GUI) then closes and does not re-open. Then when I go to kismet again it shows: 'Do you want to use: Wifi0, Ath0 or Ath1?'

This goes on and on, Ath0, 1, 2, 3 etc all appear each time kismet opens (Not fully opens) it creates a new Ath adapter showing as IEEE 802.11.

Any advice?

What is your adapters name set to? Type "ifconfig -a" then "ifconfig xxx up" where xxx is the wireless nic's name

Then "iwconfig xxx mode monitor"

You should see somehting like eth0 ath0 and lo when you run "ifconfig -a". WHat your wireless card islisted as depends on the device. Mine for example is listed as rausb0 because I use an external linksys card.

Usually running Kismet from the menu launches Kismet and does everything for you, but if the device isn't found or started, it probably can't run. I think lsmod also show syou what modules are loaded, and your nic card should show up in the list along with the driver it uses. I try not to run Kismet directly from a terminal when in BT3. Also, make sure the wifi-radio is on!! If your keyboard has something like a Function-key + a little radio button on one of the number keys, then start the radio first and make sure the little wifi light comes on(if your lappy has an indicator). Have this problem with my Gateway, when BT3 boots, the card is not turned on, hence, Kismet and any other program using wireless can't find you device.

Have you edited the config file? You can set this all up, then just type kismet into the white box to the right of the K menu button.

config file is: /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf

for the aspire one you want something like:

SOURCES:madwifi_g,wifi0,wifi0

Hope that helps...

Or you could just make a module. Thats what I have done and it works great. There is one thing that I can not get working tho, The sound, I have tried everything and I cannot get it to work. Does anyone know how to make this work?

Rebuild the kernel with the newer Sound drivers. Not all cards are going to work out of the box either.

• 2 months later...

I am having this issue as well, and I was wondering if the AAO starts with the Wifi turned on, and if not, how can I find out if it is on?

I was told that by pulling up the "wireless assistant" if it finds networks, then your card is turned on, and that makes sense to me, but sometimes Kismet will 'work' (show networks) and sometimes it wont.

Got any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am having the same problem here running Backtrack3 on an Acer Aspire One from USB live. My wireless is up and running as I can see and connect to networks in Wireless Assistant. I did manage to get Kismet working once lastnight after many attempts but haven't been able to since. I've tried running Kismet from the command line with the switches as Darren suggested above but still nothing, I have checked in iwconfig and its says wifi0 has no wireless extensions, the entries for ath0 (and ath1 and so on after multiple attempts of opening Kismet) all have info listed. There are also entries for Kis0 (and kis1 etc).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated... :)

Also - just to add after a few attempts of trying different things I get an error message which is quiet long -

The last few lines:

FATAL: Unable to create VAP: No such device

FATAL: Unable to create monitor-mode VAP

WARNING: wifi0 appears to not accept the Madwifi-NG controls. Will attempt to configure it as a standard Madwifi-old interface. If you are using madwifi-ng, be sure to set the source interface to the wifiX control interface, NOT athX

FATAL: GetIFFlags: interface wifi0: No such device

OK bit of an update -

Talk about jumping through hoops but I found that if you connect to your wireless network, open kismet from the menu, then open kismet from the command line it works - not much use that way out in the field but it leads me to believe kismet is picking the wrong network card or driver on startup by default the normal way - perhaps?

Also with Backtrack3 on the Aspire One I've found the WiFi can sometimes be intermittent, at one stage I had to power down (not restart) to get the WiFi back (an old problem I had in XP but that was fixed by a BIOS upgrade)...