Wlan: Is it even possible?

shido

Ok so we all know how to setup a local area network in linux or windows etc. And we all know how to share files and see the computers on a network built. My question is, is it possible to build a network like a lan but wirelessly. Dont get me wrong, im not talking about adhoc connections. Im talking about one central wireless access point and a bunch of wireless devices connected to it, that allows file sharing and allows you to see the see the other devices on the network. Is it possible? If it is how would one go about doing this, in a windows but preferably a linux environment?

Same way you would if it was a wired network.

Ok im using linux(Ubuntu) so let me get this straight. I know you can click on the network options in the system tray then click manual cofigurations then set up the Lan's properties after which you can click places and click network and youll see the network. Am i right?? Well i do this for my wireless connection and it doesnt work i dont see the other computers, and yes i did setup the other computers. I even try to connect to it like this ///192.*.*.* and it doesnt work. I try to set it up for DHCP and it still doesnt work. What am i doing wrong?

It is called a wlan (wireless local area network) it is the same thing as a lan, except you are broadcasting your network wirelessly (is that a word?). I think you have the concept of wifi confused with something else. At home, when you plugged in your wireless router to your modem (assuming you have a modem), you just created a wlan. Google wlan, or read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN

It is called a wlan (wireless local area network) it is the same thing as a lan, except you are broadcasting your network wirelessly (is that a word?). I think you have the concept of wifi confused with something else. At home, when you plugged in your wireless router to your modem (assuming you have a modem), you just created a wlan. Google wlan, or read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN

OOOHHHKAAAAY i suggest you scroll up and read exactly what i meant, or ddnt you understand it? i know whats wifi and wlan and i know how to set up a router so that i can get internet through my wifi. Im asking how to set up a network like a lan so that i can access other computers shares etc, just like a normal wired lan. I cant leave it as default settings coz the computers just get internet but cant see each other, im guessing you knew that already

OOOHHHKAAAAY i suggest you scroll up and read exactly what i meant, or ddnt you understand it? i know whats wifi and wlan and i know how to set up a router so that i can get internet through my wifi. Im asking how to set up a network like a lan so that i can access other computers shares etc, just like a normal wired lan. I cant leave it as default settings coz the computers just get internet but cant see each other, im guessing you knew that already

My bad, google "File Sharing on Ubuntu".

How are you going to manage that? The only thing that comes to mind is either alot of fibre optic or using dd-wrt and just have them hook to each other wirelessly

WiMAX,Alavrion and Colubris wireless gear. It's some pretty shit hot geat. I will post pics of the towers etc when they are completed and a little rundown on the network.

Cordless VOIP phones used around town instead of mobile phones?

Use your own internet plan anywhere under the mesh?Check

Gaming over the wireless network and ftp file sharing? Check

Theese are all thing we are going to do plus out fit a whole heap of wireless securit cameras etc for local government and police. Then they can backup the archived data to our data centre over the network so no data usage etc. I will also be setting up a media stream and broadcast IPTV shows like hak5 etc. I have gotten the ok from my boss and the local authorities so the locals can watch hak5 etc over the netowrk without worrying about data usage because our local ISPs data plan suck. I only get 12gig a month INCLUDING uploads. I am now accepting donations to the "Get Swathe Real Internet" fund. Please donate generously.

We are still doing some of the research in the protocol area and I am waiting for some info from my boss so I can't give an answer for that at this point, but we will be having management from our office plus remote management for approved staff. I can't give away too much detail though hahah