FON Router disguised as a lamp.

jtcgreyfox

Lmao, love this thread.

The big bible and the "Just tell um to FO" ideas were the best imo :P

Personally I've been thinking where I can hide the FON without covering the antenna. Could just leave it in your bag I suppose o_0

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd buy some stickers/t-shirts but I don't have (or support) PayPal, unfortunately.

Been moaning at Revision3 for a while, for using Jinx, because Jinx don't allow creditcard transactions from their over-seas customers. PayPal only. Sucks.

• 1 month later...

This would require some time(after hours access) + not being afraid of 120 AC power, but $10 says that you could fit it inside of this,

4plug.jpg

If you removed the case and gutted the 120 power supply it should fit nicley + it would be powered.

if they use normal plastic boxes there is a bunch of extra space in the back of the boxes, But if the building is wired using conduit the boxes are much tighter.

4plug2.jpg

The electricity would probably cause some interference, not to mention the wall blocking the signal.

Mains power and wifi use vastly differing frequencies, so the interference wont be too much of an issue. Think what would happen if you write a message in green pen, then I write all over it in yellow, good chance you can still read it, but it I write all over it in a similar shade of green, things get a lot harder.

That's what happens with mains 'hum' and audio frequencies; or wifi and microwaves, but 50-60hz and 2GHz, nah.

Wrap the device in paper/cardboard for insulation and wrap that in tin foil connected to a ground tag - just for good measure.

Make sure to put the antenna outside of the tin foil though!

Oh, and the wifi should pass through the wall with no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

lol here's an idea

here'z teh perfect setup. Take a pan (like for boiling water in) put 1/2 inch think aluminum blocks in it. put thermoelectric peltier chips on top of block and put another block on other side of peltier chips. Put the fon in the center of all that and put a cover over that so it's a fake bottom.

when boiling water, some of the heat transferring will go thermal into electrical energy tada!

now on the realistic side: (here's where my EE major comes in =P)

make a resin case and embed the fon in the resin (like most epoxies it's nonconductive and not too bad on static)

now put some resistors/LEDs off the regulated 5V and put like a business card on the front(backlit by LEDs). paint the back of it black and put a thin layer of resin to protect paint.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/b...sin_encase.html

i like inside external hard drive case, looks normal with usb and power cable plugged to it, throw a book out so it looks like your studying or working, as for the lamp idea walk in with it in bag like you just bought it and tell em you just bought it for a birthday gift or something and ask if its alright if you plug it in to check it out, if you want leave it there long term do it before a shift change

could also use digital clock if you could find one with enought room and put it by a window, you strip out a small boombox they look normal with an antenna sticking out and have room for alot batteries, anyone wants to hear it say it just shorted out little bit ago and frown till they go away, lol, could even plug it in and tell em your just charging the battery up then slide it off to the side

portable pop cooler, tell em you have something you dont want to spoil

still think i'd go with the backpack, its portable and will not look out place in alot places

• 1 year later...

Bump dat, why not just sport one of these (May cause cancer)

tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg

No one will suspect anything, everyone will just think you are crazy..

Pineapple was good idea, I want to see someone else build one and post a pic on here. I don't have a FON yet :(

Edited by 555

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

if you use a laptop charger take apart the housing where the power cord goes into the box thing, make your own so it fits the router inside it aswell with the antenna cased in there aswell (not alot of signal gets lost) then put the power supply unit inside. i bound an ethernet cable to the power cable with a long bit of heatshrink rubber stuff and split it at the end enough to reach around to the rj45 port on my laptop and power my laptop at the same time. just sit where noone can really see it that well. if done properly it looks genuine-ish :)