Putty client

Reprobate

I myself usually have close to 15 putty sessions open at one time at work and was tired of looking through them to find the environment I needed to be in. I went hunting around and found a bit of free software that is a tabbed client for PuTTY that you can get at http://puttycm.free.fr.

It also allows you to store a database of your connection so you just double click and runs a log-in script. Also allows up to 5 lines of a macro to run after you log in (su - <password>) makes life a bit easier. Also has a .dll file that you drop in the install directory that will encrypt your database.

Didn't see it on the forums, thought I'd share my find.

If you use PuTTY that much, you may be lucky to find something else useful in this list of 12 PuTTY addons: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/08/turboc...re-for-geeks-3/

That is pretty damn awesome. I don't have a need for all that, but the tabs and fodler saving(vs registry) make nice additions. Especially if you carry it on USB key place to place, the folder option is nice.

Something I do that is kinda lame but gets me by on Windows is to setup a batch file to launch PuTTy. It let's me do Start > Run > ssh x.x.x.x

putty.exe located c:

ssh.bat located in system32

c:\putty.exe -ssh %1

Any of you batch file masters know how to make the batch window go away after launching PuTTy?

Something I do that is kinda lame but gets me by on Windows is to setup a batch file to launch PuTTy. It let's me do Start > Run > ssh x.x.x.x

Hey, check out Launchy together with putty-launcher-plugin, it basically does the same but gives you more possibilities, and lets you set up more things, like the window opened should be maximized.

When I need to SSH to something I just press Alt+Space (in order to activate Launchy) and then type ssh [tab] and then I can press "t", it will then suggest "tenzer.dk" as that is set up as a saved session in PuTTY. I can also type ssh [tab] hostname.com 222, if I'm connecting to a server I don't have in my saved sessions, and define the port number at the same time.

hate terminals, and putty is anoying but kind of the only option on windows. For those like me, you can get an x server for your m$ box here http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/ and tunnel your apps over to your side.

(great for when the cs department says "no remote desktoping" but dosent expect you to actually know something about how unix works. )