Mojave Experiment

Corrosion.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna bitch about the fact that people use Linux, I've used it myself, and it can be quite useful in the right environment. What I do object to, however, is the mindless Windows-bashing, along with the implication that I'm a moron for choosing the operating system I did to do my daily computing in. I'm also well aware that the "religious wars" have been raging for many, many years and will continue to do so for many, many more, but the blatant (and militant) zealotism is really beginning to grate, it's like living in a room with an endless tape playing over a PA system telling me that my choice is wrong. It's the people I object to, not the OS (or OSs based on the kernel, even).

As a side note though, when you step back and look at things, you realise that some of the more vocal fans of the main OSs are much like the originators of the OSs... Allow me to explain:

Just as Apple's adverts are brash and unreasonable, Apple fans tend to be the same way. Name-calling and insults alongside baseless "facts" tend to be spewed at any available moment. A belief that Apple's products are the top of the pile and that Apple has more of an interest in pleasing the fans than making money from suckers is often found within the opinions of Mac fans, however many times this is proven not to be the case.

Linux tends to put across an elitist aura, an intolerant cacophony of propaganda and scare tactics accompanied by a scorning dislike of anything vaguely capitalist (or anything that isn't explicitly linked to their way of thinking, in fact) and so do its fans. Much as with the fans of Apple, a blind support for something which may not be the best tool for the job is present. It should be noted that Linux was originally an OS built to learn from in the absence of a real Unix. Perhaps it should've stayed that way?

Microsoft, like many of its fans, tends to stay fairly quiet. It doesn't react to the Apple ads, it doesn't acknowledge Linux unless it's going to gain from doing so, and it doesn't make any noise unless it feels it has a reason to. Sometimes it says stupid stuff, and sometimes it messes up, but it usually admits when it does.

I'll freely admit that not all fans of the 3 main desktop OSs are like I've described, but I think some of the more vocal ones do tend to comply with some of the traits I've mentioned. I just thought it was an interesting observation.

I don't care if you use Windows. I've just lately stopped using it myself. I thought XP was great, I just don't NEED to use it other than for Visio. And I started to find myself using linux more and more in a VM inside of Windows. So now I've reversed that, and only use Windows for Visio inside of a VM.

Linux isn't without it's flaws, thats for sure! How about shit like sound not working from multiple sources at the same time out of the box. There's always some crap like that. It has proven to be way faster for me though, but that's me.

I don't know about Vista as I've not used it for more than like 15 minutes.

Use what you want, and don't get all pissed off. It's not like you wrote the code for Windows.

I don't care if you use Windows. I've just lately stopped using it myself. I thought XP was great, I just don't NEED to use it other than for Visio. And I started to find myself using linux more and more in a VM inside of Windows. So now I've reversed that, and only use Windows for Visio inside of a VM.

Linux isn't without it's flaws, thats for sure! How about shit like sound not working from multiple sources at the same time out of the box. There's always some crap like that. It has proven to be way faster for me though, but that's me.

I don't know about Vista as I've not used it for more than like 15 minutes.

Use what you want, and don't get all pissed off. It's not like you wrote the code for Windows.

Well then, you don't really have the right to call Vista an "infection", do you? I think you have to actually use an OS before you can say it's shit.

Windows has been pretty good to me. I have never realy had the trouble other people have had which alot of the time is user error. I love linux. I'm certainly no expert at it and have more than my my fair share of problems trying to get things to work in it and using the command line as often as I can. It's just refreshing to be in this position of learning again, although certainly not that productive lol. I use xp, vista and several flavours of linux ( haven't had the pleasure of OSX yet.) I think each one is a match for certain groups of people. I do agree that the linux community has a certain aire of elitism about it but I think alot was caused by the struggles they have been through etc. i will use all of them whilst I feel the need to but my goal is to permanantly migrate to linux and run a virtual windows machine if i'm stuck.

Well then, you don't really have the right to call Vista an "infection", do you? I think you have to actually use an OS before you can say it's shit.

I was referring more to the fact that it was installed (and I had to pay for it), but didn't want it.

Chill bro, this is just internets...

We're all people. People, by nature, hate change.

Vista is different, not necessarily better, not necessarily worse. It depends on the system and the user.

The one thing that remains is that people hate change.

I use Ubuntu sometimes on my Macbook, you have no idea how much work is involved in getting a Linux distro to work with all the Macbook hardware.

Even after 2 days of work linux still doesn't fully recognise my sound drivers, allow me to properly use my WiFi card, adjust volume control properly, support my microphone, support my webcam or support the majority of my hotkeys. Not to mention half the time when I reboot my WiFi card pulls a vanishing act and my fans stop spinning.

While alternatives are probably avaliable for the problems mentioned above, the time, effort and work arounds required do not add up to more than getting over the ego trip of 'I use linux omg omg'.

I use Win XP on my Macbook and Vista on my desktop, I hate change. But shit happens and times change, grow up ;)

The debate is so old, it will never end until people let go of their personal differences. With that said, it' sjust that. A debate on personal preference, but in no way imposing on your opinion or personal choice.

[sarcasm]ALL OS'S SUCK!!! ALL BROWSERS SUCK

There, now no one has to argue about personal preference, since they all suck.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, it's just lame to get worked up over it so easily. While I may have my own opinions on the use of an OS or Browser, it's just that. For people to get so worked up in a tirade of flame balls back and forth is childish and unproductive. People should be able to make points for or against something without risk of others taking offense so easily. If you get worked up about what someone else says about an OS or Browser, then it's not their bashing or praising that is the problem, but your own anger managment and ability to let go.

For obviosu reasons, people are attached to their OS and Browser preference, but that is all it is. It is their preference, and not something to be imposed on anyone else. People can make their mind up for themself, but to get bent out of shape on he said, she said crap is just a waste of keystrokes and your only making yourself worked up(as well as looking silly in the process). That goes for anyone. Ifyou are offended by my remark then maybe it's not what I said, but how you react to it.

I say this because these flame wars are never going to end! They have been around longer than ANY of us, and will continue long after we are gone. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, or taking a personal vet against any parties involved, but for anyone to reply in a shitstorm means maybe you need to manage your anger better.

Let it go. Someone says something you don't agree with, I am all for the open debate, making points on either side of the fence and accepting others peoples rights to their opinions, but to come in and try to regulate that open space for either side is just silly to get yourself so worked up over. Sharing your opinion on the matter is great, but to try and kill the conversation just because you don't agree with it makes you a hipocrit.

And I am not taking sides for any OS or Browser per say, as I think they all have their short comings. My opinions on the use of them have been scattered on the forums enough times in multiple threads, and I stand by those opinions, but I think I have the right to those opinions as much as anyone else does. I am not going to respond to someones post or opinion as if it is "fighting words"(I know you were only joking, but it still makes my point) because as soon as you take it to a level beyond sensible, inteligent replies and it becomes anger and hate, then its time you turn off the PC, go for a walk, have a beer, or do what ever you need to do in order to destress yourself. You obviously need to detach yourself from the subject for a while, as it is only an opinion of someone else, and not the end of the world as we know it.

Well you see, I'm not actually as excited about the subject as it may appear, and I'm far from being a fanboy for any particular flag or mascot, I just cannot fathom why people feel the need to 1) bash other peoples' choices like tomorrow was the end of the world and 2) constantly hound after one particular alternative.

So my rants were not pro-Windows per se, nor were they intended to be specifically anti-Linux, my point was that I'm really quite sick of seeing the same tired lies and thin propaganda being spewed from every orifice at every possible opportunity. It'd be a bit like me appearing whenever you went to drive your car (for example, a Ford) and yelling "FORD ARE SHIT, GET A HONDA!!! FORD ARE SHIT, GET A HONDA!!!"... it'd get old quick, right?

I just cannot fathom why people feel the need to 1) bash other peoples' choices like tomorrow was the end of the world and 2) constantly hound after one particular alternative.

I agree with you there. That is in part why I psoted what I did. I wasn't point the finger at anyone or you, but just wanted to say it's silly back and forth.

I do think though, that what you said makes a lot of sense and that there are those that put OS's down (or anything) for the sake of their hate for them often times with no specifics to back up their complaints or without ever even using it.

I value a good point when it's made and I will even eat my own words when someone takes the time to put me in my place on a topic.

"FORD ARE SHIT, GET A HONDA!!! FORD ARE SHIT, GET A HONDA!!!"
That would make for a really funny video. I can imagine just going to film reaction shots to someone shouting that at drivers. :)

vista is good bad as ive said elsewhere on this forum.

I got a laptop which was shipped with Windows Vista Premium, and a PC which i bought Vista Ultimate x64 for.

The PC is Core2duo e6600, 2x 8600gts graphics and 4gb 800mhz ram. Vista runs friggin fast, dx10 performance is great and the rest is just better, id never go back to xp, unless, your brand new laptop is like mine, shipped with vista premium, running a core2duo 1.6ghz, 1gb ram and an crappy intergrated gpu - i went back to XP Pro on this laptop and it runs wayy better.

As said up there ^^

vista loves ram, cpu cores, and graphics cards. when your lucky to have these, it will be your best friend, but when your running an standard pc, it will be good but not good enough

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2514730680283477734 every OS sucks.

For the record I am OS neutral I am at home in XP, Vista, OSX, a fair few linux distros, FreeBSD and NetBSD. Hell I am still at home on my BBC micro computer.

That is an awesome video!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...09352&hl=en the sys admin song.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...09867&hl=en this one is his best one, first time i saw it i just couldn't stop laughing.

I like the part where he asks to speak to the kid. Great vids. Never heard of him before. Thanks for the links.

http://www.deadtroll.com/