> Schneier on Security

walcy

'N' - terest -'N' Article, --> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008...lot_thre_2.html

ooooo, so right..........

The problem with building security around specific targets and tactics is that its only effective if we happen to guess the plot correctly. If we spend billions defending the Underground and terrorists bomb a school instead, we've wasted our money. If we focus on the World Cup and terrorists attack Wimbledon, we've wasted our money.

It's this fetish-like focus on tactics that results in the security follies at airports. We ban guns and knives, and terrorists use box-cutters. We take away box-cutters and corkscrews, so they put explosives in their shoes. We screen shoes, so they use liquids. We take away liquids, and they're going to do something else. Or they'll ignore airplanes entirely and attack a school, church, theatre, stadium, shopping mall, airport terminal outside the security area, or any of the other places where people pack together tightly.

/me nods-->

We need to defend against the broad threat of terrorism, not against specific movie plots.
:o

I've always thought that the illusion of security TSA provides is the best target of a would be terrorist. The place of greatest impact for a suicide bomber in the airport would be near the security check. Since that has the largest number of people packed closely together, and just anyone could walk into the crowd.

Johnny Long did some interesting stuff on TSA at last year's Defcon:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...amp;q=defcon+15

Like how a bunch of TSA shirts were "lost"...

The problem with building security around specific targets and tactics is that its only effective if we happen to guess the plot correctly

That doesn't work either, they DID guess the plot correctly and what did that help ?

Live ITV News interview with Peter Power, the Managing Director of Crisis Management firm Visor Consultants

who was 'actually running an exercise...

based on simultaneous bombs going off precisely at the railway stations that happened'.

Recorded at 8:20pm on the evening of the 7/7 London Bombings.

Yeah,

I am all for airport security, the whole system just needs to be re-done on the security measures/practices that they use. I don't believe that the checks that they have in place at the current time are designed well enough to stop anyone from doing something crazy.

And the checks they have in place, i mean some of them are questionable. I have seen in recent news where a guy couldn't wear various t-shirts. For example the whole transformer's t-shirt with a gun, the guy couldn't go thru security check b/c of it --> http://www.banshirts.com/airport-t-shirt/t...nned-at-airport