Scare Tactics or am i screwed

Lyran

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Your original post

You had a screen shot of it 8 mins after original post

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Ive already wiped my harddrive

so you think im ok then?

I believe it takes longer than 11 mins to wipe your harddrive and reinstall windows.

And I don't believe you wiped your harddrive and then reinstalled this program just to give us a screenshot, or happened to save the screenshot.

SOFTWARE PIRACY. In the event the license to use the Software has been violated due to piracy restrictions set forth in this license, you hereby grant us the permission to the following actions: You also agree we are authorized to install files to display a piracy notice at the start of the computer indefinitely to notify the owner of the computer of infringing material; which may be removed by deleting the file sysutil.exe within the computer's Windows root directory.

You also agree we are authorized to disable access to the Software and report any Software piracy (including information collected) to your Internet Service Provider and any law enforcement agencies.

Finally you agree we are authorized to download and install ANY 3rd party software which may (and is not limited to) displaying advertisements; in order to cover any lost revenue of the Software when piracy has been determined.

Yes noone reads stuff like this, but it's a good idea to checkup a little bit on software when you know your obtaining it illegally.

Well im on aol.

Does that make it any worst for me

Yes it just does.

Ok mr detective.

1. i took that screen shot at the time of the event and sent it to friend to be like omg wtf am i going to do.

2. After that i wiped my harddrive and reinstalled xp that only takes about 30 min max on my comp which has.

1512mb ram

2.8ghz p4

256mb video card

3. i put the screenshot up after someone asked for it.

4. I didnt think this was all illegal i was only using a serial my friend told me to use.

Im not some hacker that uses warez n cracks n shit.

2. After that i wiped my harddrive and reinstalled xp that only takes about 30 min max on my comp which has.

1512mb ram

2.8ghz p4

256mb video card

You forgot to mention your hard drive specs which would greatly affect format/install speed...

Edit: 1512MB is not a legal amount or RAM (if you'll excuse the pun)... I'm guessing you either meant 512MB or 1536MB (1.5GB)...

4. I didnt think this was all illegal i was only using a serial my friend told me to use.

Pfff...

Im not some hacker that uses warez n cracks n shit.

Honest.

Ahem... you make it sound like it's a bad thing...

My harddrive is 70mb but i done a "quick" ntfs.

70MB...?

What are you running, NT3.1?

Oh, and Quick Format of any kind is just about the worst and most useless way to delete illegal or sensitive information, second only to 'Delete to Recycle Bin'...

AOL is the worst ISP in the world...

Actualy there is a worse ISP then AOL... Tesco Internet... I was at this persons house fixing there computer (they did some thing stupid with it) and google.co.uk kept timing out :x, and every now and then Tesco Internets own DNS servers would time out :?. They are a England only thing (I hope) so they don't count :P

• 3 weeks later...
...did anyone notice the IP address?

172.201.110.48 << That's not an external IP address...

Remember... Hes in the UK they have differnt IP's than in the US. 172.201.110.48 is a valid exteral address. They have some external Ip's that are 192.168.X.X

Remember... Hes in the UK they have differnt IP's than in the US. 172.201.110.48 is a valid exteral address. They have some external Ip's that are 192.168.X.X

ummm... no we don't

We don't have any external IPs that are 192.168.x.x because they wouldn't work. 192.168.x.x is a private network address which is non-routerable.

Also to clear things up 172.201.110.48 is a public IP, the private range is 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 and so he is outside of this.[/url]

Ye most router setups are 192.168.2 or 1, depends on the router type, belkin or linksys and so on.

Ye most router setups are 192.168.2 or 1, depends on the router type, belkin or linksys and so on.

That will be the internal IP adress and range.

The only reason why it is generally set up as 192.168.x.x is because it is a Class C network with 254 available address which is more than enough for most people.