Scare Tactics or am i screwed

Lyran

hey well i installed a bit of software and used a serial number my friend gave me for it , then my computer rebooted after the software told me to then a window came up saying you are using an illeagal serial number, your ip and isp information has been sent to company name for investigation then it said something like become legal and buy a licence (link) to there buy page on there site.

the window also displayed my ip address.

So now im paranoid and crapping it , i didnt know it was illeagal or that.

Anyway so is this just scare tactics to get ppl using ilegal serials to buy or am i going to get fined or something.

I live in the uk and the company is pgsoft in colarado, usa, you think i will get fined or taken to court or something ? im only 14!

:( :( :(

Ahh... well.. You installed a piece of software that has control over your system. It has access to the internet and HAS probably sent it to PGWARE.

Its only 25.00usd... just buy it..

oh wait your 14... just uninstall it and run a regcleaner like Regseeker

Well it just depends on how much bullshit they are shoving your way. Let me start off by saying I am in no way a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. When I worked for a large national (U.S. that is) cable company. We would get notices all the time from companies about people using pirate serials and patches and all that crap. The only thing that ever happened was we sent them a warning that reminded me of chastising a child. Keep in mind that this was well over two years ago and I NEVER underestimate the power of companies to bend the law to fuck you when they can.

You should use a good firewall... like ZA pro, and set it up so that it automaticly blocks both local network and internet access fo any and all programs and you have to manuly say "Yes, it's ok for this program to access the internet". This will stop any and all software from "calling home". It's also best to use your host file to point zonelabs.com to 127.0.0.1.

Zonealarm is good when it works but the newer releases seem to be buggy and do let some traffic through. Also there are suspicians that it is keeping records of your activity and "phoning home".

Kerio is better

Ok ty ive already wiped my hd

You probably didn't actually need to do that, and in case of actual legal action if anyone could be bothered the information could still be recovered...

HOWEVER, they likely won't do anything (though always try to be careful, just in case) and...

...did anyone notice the IP address?

172.201.110.48 << That's not an external IP address...

Lyran I wouldnt worry too much about it. The fact that the software is showing your ip address is nothing too much to worry about. My advice is to uninstall the software and reformat. Do not install the software again. If they come after you they got nothing. As long as you dont keep using the software I think you should be good.

Read the license agreement. Is the license transferrable?

If so and they pursue you, claim your friend sold you the software and you're exercising your fair use rights to use used software.

This however requires your friend completely erase the program.

Glad I don't put up with BS like that in Linux. Ever read the Windows EULA? :roll:

Why? Aslong as you are not sutpid and don't not use IP filters there is a 99% chance of the RIAA crawling up your anus and having sex with your unbord child.

See, thats why sex ed is an important class...

I have read the majority of the EULA, you know if you run a web server (Apache lets say) on Windows XP home and you have more thne 5 incomming connections at once microsoft can take away your copy of windows xp? The same applies for Pro but insted of 5 it's 10.

Windows XP home can't accept more than 5 connections, it blocks them after it reachs the limit, so Microsoft can't really take the license away because unless you hack the limit (I have seen a version of XP floating around that says it has done) then your not going to go over the limit. Same with Pro but 10 connections.

You are thinking of Windows File sharing (and IIS in Pro), the 5 (10 for IIS on Pro) connections limite is hard codded in to the file sharing system. If you use 3rd party software for some thing (say apache) that doesn't have it's connection limite hard coded then you can have more than 5.