Arrivals Hak5 Berlin Meetup

tim.vangehugten

I made an arrival list of the people who come. If your name isn't in this list then post a comment.

Tim.vangehugten: 11th september, 8h50 at the Berlin Tegel airport

Metatron: 11th september, around 10h05 at the Berlin Tegel airport

Joerg: 11th september, 11h00 at Berlin Central Station

???Shaun: 11th september,11h35 at the Berlin Tegel airport???

Other people who wille come: ?

I contacted the members of the HackPack08-Wiki list, but I don't know if they show up in time.

I hoped there would come more than only three.

Well you had to expect people to drop out as you always get people that say they are coming but have no intention too, then you have the ones that like the idea at first and then can't be bothered and finally you have the ones that just don't have the money. I will say I would of expected at least 6 people, but I really don't think we are going to get 5 people.

We can still go out and do everything planned but it would have been nice to see a bigger group. I'm still quite looking forward to seeing the sights and not working for four days, plus having some good food, drink and a laugh while going to see a few things and seeing what happens.

I think Birmingham or London is the best bet if we do a meet up next year as a bulk of people that attend things are British and from the looks of things they can't be bothered to travel, even if it's only an hour and a half flight.

I do actually have a ticket and my plane lands at 11:35:

bookingyn3.png

The thing is I'm a bit disappointed at how few people are apparently coming, especially since a large part of going was because I wanted to meet Moonlit and Dids, neither of whom are now coming so I'm not sure about coming now, and my flight is (mostly) refundable. I'm undecided as whether it's worth the cost for only a 4 person meet up.

Well if it helps I don't think it would be that much different if more people turned up if last year is a reflection. The meet ups tend to just be a bunch of people meeting up for a drink and doing geeky stuff. I don't know what you would be expecting if you met Moonlit and Dids, they are just normal blokes like everyone else on here.

If you weren't in Berlin yet you still have the mostly unique opportunity to see such a great city (if you're interested in sight seeing).

Edit @Darren: You mean an episode in Germany?

Indeed, Berlin is a great place. Even if your not sight seeing your see them when going from place to place.

I don't know what you would be expecting if you met Moonlit and Dids, they are just normal blokes like everyone else on here.

Because those are the people I talk to most often of the people who said they were going, and therefore I am more interested in meeting them in real life. By your logic it seems like there would be no point in a meetup at all because just meeting some random people on the street would be equivalent.

Because those are the people I talk to most often of the people who said they were going, and therefore I am more interested in meeting them in real life. By your logic it seems like there would be no point in a meetup at all because just meeting some random people on the street would be equivalent.

Well there is no real point to a meet up other than doing geeky stuff with other people that are into geeky stuff, which I'm sure most of us don't have a lot of contact with people into the same things.

I have a geeky job but even the people I work with are still very much 9 to 5 and then off the clock when it comes to tech. Everyone I've met outside of 2600 and LUG meetings have little to nothing to do with tech and most people don't have a local 2600 or LUG groups, so have no real contact with like minded people outside of IRC or forums (which does not reflect what people are like in real life).

If someone only wanted to meet one or two select people, you may as well just call them up and go down the pub with them. Hell that's what I do when I'm in London with a lot of people I've met through The Hacker Voice or when I've been in a number of cities in the US with people from BinRev and a few other forums/channels I'm in.

mnt /dev/brain/ /mnt/brain && cat /mnt/brain/hackpack/list-2.0
[laptop]
* Laptop
* Battery
* Power supply
* Bluetooth dongle
* External wifi cantenna

[data]
* External hard disk
* Power supply
* Flash disks and thumbdrives

[Router]
* Wifi router
* Power supply

[Wires]
* 1 long CAT6
* 2 short CAT6
* 1 long CAT5
* 1 USB

[gps]
* GPS device
* 1 mini usb adapter/charger

[extras]
* money
* mobile phone
* ID
* clothes
* "washing equipment"
* city map
* plan of Berlin's museums
* technolust

Museums of technical subjects:

* The German Technical Museum:

Trebbiner Straße 9, 4.50 €, open: th, fri: 9-17:30 , sa,su: 10-18

* Museum of Energy

Teltowkanalstraße 9, free entry, open: fri: 11h (date need to be confirmed if group is interested)

* Museum of Communication

Leipzier Straße 16, 3 €, open: th,fri: 9-17, sa,su: 10-18

A group ticket for max. 5 people for one day costs 15.90 € which means for three people 5.30 €. A day ticket for one person costs 6.10 €.

I'm taking;

12" Laptop with high capacity battery (has built in bluetooth and ZigBee along with a Atheros based a/b/g/n card with new madwifi drivers)

Second high capacity battery for laptop

Charger for laptop

GPS device, plus leads and rechargeable batteries with USB charger.

Two high power wireless cards plus antennas (500mW Alfa and a Ubiquiti SRC 300 mW card)

Digital Camera with 8GB card, plus additional 2GB card, two batteries and charger.

Clean clothes

Tooth brush

mobile phone

Money

ID

I'll buy anything else I need when I'm out there as I only want to take hand luggage.