How not to cool a macbook

Darren Kitchen

what you want is some silver artic 5 :P

It's called Arctic Silver. I've got a tube of their Alumina which, I might add, is WHITE. In fact, I have yet to see any thermal goop that ISN'T white.

Dansdata had a hilarious review of various compounds to use as thermal goop with some interesting results. He tried: Toothpaste, Marmite (some stuff australians put on their sandwitches), cheap ass thermal goop, thermal pads (the stick-on things), expensive Arctic Silver. End result was that they all kept the core equally cool.

The difference between the compounds lay primarily in its electric conductivity and to what extent it can be expected to still be 'mushy' (as opposed to dried up and fragile) after a certain amount of time.

Why do the new Intel MAC CPUs look like the Socket A CPUs? I never liked the die based cooling, it always seemd to me that they would run alot cooler if you used the whole top serfice of the CPU, of course AMD made the change with the release of there 939 socket CPUs.

I've got a tube of their Alumina which, I might add, is WHITE. In fact, I have yet to see any thermal goop that ISN'T white.

I just used some the other day that was like a silvery goop, looked a bit like that glitter glue you can get...

/me double checks he didn't mix up the glitter glue and the thermal paste...

Edit: it's a bit thicker than glitter glue, it's more like those silver metallic marker pens you can get... looks a bit like someone emptied the ink of one of those into a... hey, I've been ripped off!

Why do the new Intel MAC CPUs look like the Socket A CPUs? I never liked the die based cooling, it always seemd to me that they would run alot cooler if you used the whole top serfice of the CPU, of course AMD made the change with the release of there 939 socket CPUs.

All notebook CPUs (and chips in general) don't make use of a heatspreader as it is termed and leave the die exposed because the heatspreader adds another 3mm ontop of the CPU and when the manufacturer is trying to make the laptop as thin as possible it doesn't help.

Secondly all that the heatspreader is useful for is stopping people from damaging their new expensive processor, it doesn't improve heat transfer, if anything it will hurt it. Because underneth the headspreader is a normal chip die we are all familiar with, this then has to have thermal paste placed on top of it, then the heatspreader, then more thermal paste and finally the heatsink. So you now have added two more sections of material for the heat to transfer through and this means there is a greater chance of reduced heat transfer.