Strange mouse problem

Sparda

I'm guessing this is the thread that will get zero replies, but worth a shot since I couldn't find any thing on Google.

A computer running XP SP2 has developed a strange problem where occasionally mouse clicks will be ignored. There is nothing wrong with the mouse, it seems to be a software problem. When it occurs it acts as if another program is grabbing the mouse events. Even between separate programs.

Opening the ctrl+alt+del menu usually fixes it. The computer, as far as I can tell, has no malware or the like on it.

I was hoping that some one has encountered this and had figured out what was causing it.

Take the mouse apart a clean it?

Does the mouse do this on any system or does any mouse have this problem on that system?

PS2? USB? Bluetooth? Radio? An old flatmate of mine had a radio wireless mouse that stopped working when the microwave was used...

Try updating to SP3?

The mouse is wired USB. Tried another mouse (also wired USB), same problem.

Optical?

Not sure if this will help, but I used to have similar problems with my USB Optical when in VMware.

Try the following: GO to the control panel for the mouse and increase the sample rate and packet size for the mouse.

See the attached image. (Requires a reboot)

mouse.jpg

Increase as needed. If keeps happening, you might need a new mouse, but I doubt you need a new mouse. Also, are there multiple USB devices being used at the same time?