Apple shoots itself in the foot

Xarf

I was browsing the Apple UK Store earlier today and came across this when attempting to access the University store from outside of my Universities web system.

Turns out, Apple is using Microsoft server to host its website?

Worrying...

appleuseswindowsiisfj0.png

Isn't it far more likely that procureweb.ac.uk, an independent 3rd party, is running on a MS server, and is merely allowing apple to use a sub-domain to hock its gaudy wallet killers?

Possible, however the web at procureweb.ac.uk reports 'Does not allow its directory to be listed' so, I'd imagine it's a virtual domain hosted by apple for searching up IPs based on Universities (Its not an actual Uni website).

So the apple Uni lookup IP service is running on MS servers.

The apple lappy looks photoshop'd to me. Either way, who cares really?

Apple.com doesn't even have it's own http server for it's OS?? It relies on Apache (on a probably Mac OS anyway, since they get categorized as Unix systems now).

Header for Apple.com

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 01:15:06 GMT
Content-Length: 10761
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Expires: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 01:25:06 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=600
Connection: keep-alive
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix)

I'm fairly certain that apache is the server system built into Mac OSX. Even the Desktop OS has it built in for web sharing.

A lot of linux distros come with Apache as the default HTTP servers as well, but it's not made by Apple or Linux. That was my point. Just because a site uses a certain software over another, doesn't mean much of anything about the company itself. Infrastructure is based on your needs, not shiny white plastic boxes with the letter "i" attached to them.

Apple are using Mac Servers running Mac OSX Server. I couldnt find the video, but a while ago, they had a video tour of their Data Center, and it was all X-Serves. The Guy giving the tour made a big deal about some Dell Servers Running Exchange for Blackberry users, I guess they are gone now and replaced with the MobileMe Push Servers.

Its hosted on a fucking ja.net IP, not apple. Its a 3rd party site apple are merely sell shit via.

It doesn't matter where it's hosted, what's worrying is how apple is lowering their standards handling their 3rd party providers

They're having problems with the Infineon chips, with the MobileMe service and even with their assembly line!!