Wireless internet over a field and a tin can

silentknight329

this may not be all correct... but all i know is that my neighbours can get highspeed but we cant.. so we going to hook up a modded router (antenna's that can broadcast 2.5 miles?) then recive it with a antenna in a tin can hooked up to another router... for us to get highspeed.. i'll post more info when i have it...

this may not be all correct... but all i know is that my neighbours can get highspeed but we cant.. so we going to hook up a modded router (antenna's that can broadcast 2.5 miles?) then recive it with a antenna in a tin can hooked up to another router... for us to get highspeed.. i'll post more info when i have it...

I really don't think your going to have much luck, well not 2.5 miles with a tin can/cantenna or waveguide antenna to give it it's real name. Your best bet would be to get two 20.5dBi Parabolic Mesh Antenna for around £50 for the two or take two satellite dishes and mount biquad antenna's to them.

Not completely relevant but kind of.

The N standard uses the 2.4Ghz spectrum and 5GHz spectrum at the same time?

If so, and you wanted to make use of N, you would need at the very least 2 antennas connected to the transmitter and receiver, one configured for 2.4Ghz the other for 5Ghz, correct?

Well, You could do what i did. I got this pci wireless card and alot of that antenna cable and made it run so far.. and then i attached a dish onto the end of it by cutting into it and screwed it into a normal dish.. it worked for me.. but i had only 1 mile to get a signal.. and I use N and i get a 74% connection...

That could be a problem if he dose not own the land, I know there is a book out there called wireless hacks an they demonstrated a fairly reliable signal over a 1 - 3 mile distance using some very cool antennas but as far as i know they tested it in the height of summer under "ideal" conditions, so when the weather turns for the worst your signal will most likely go from usable to unusable.

ok i described this all wrong... here we go... there is the dish at at our neighbours house 1 km away then a wireless n router in his house sending out dchp and all that jazz.. and it is using the dish i'm guessing.. so then it is broadcasting out.. then our wireless g router w/ modded antenna is picking up the signal and redistributing it around my house... the wireless g router has different firmware on it 2.. just to let u know..

• 2 years later...

I don't see why this wouldn't work I've fashioned a usb wireless adapter in a waterproof container to the arm of an old satalite dish facing back into the dish and made a long usb cable out of shielded cat 5 cable worked great and I recieved wifi signals from as far as 6 miles away (as the crow flies) my connection at 6 miles was only 34 percent but none the less I could connect My best connection was 2.5 miles away at a 94 percent connection I will say this though Weather plays a huge roll in the connection percentage snow seemed to be the worst as I would completely loose signal however when raining it was only about a 21 percent drop...still effected connection speed though..its also best to mount the modded wifi dish on a rotating platform so that you can dial in the best connection and I found that the optimal distance between the usb wifi adapter and dish was approx 2' 41/2" this was using a Netgear wifi usb adapter results will vary as I purchased a linksys usb wifi adapter and couldn't even get enough signal to connect...not really sure why as I figured linksys would be better but anyway hope this helps..

• 2 weeks later...

UBIQUITI NANOBRIDGE M5 are like $80 bucks a piece and are good for 20km at 150Mbps. Their weatherproof too, for the money you can't really go wrong and at least you get something that works reliably.

Ubiquiti is a great brand and they work very well.