Creating the UK InfoSec / Hacker Con

DeepN1KE

A Name for the UK Security / Hackers Conference??   

8 members have voted

1. 1. A Name for the UK Security / Hackers Conference??

• Britcon
    • UKon
    • i-con
    • ConUKon
    • BrumCon
    • pseudosuit
    • hackinvent
    • hackevent
    • hackish
    • proglet
    • hacksec
    • mumblage
    • Collaberate

In America there are so many events and conferences for the InfoSec Professional and those of the Hacker Mindset. There is Blackhat, Defcon, ShmooCon, and ChicagoCon to name but a few. I am sure many people from the UK, can find the time to attend, some personally financed and others by their company, but in the UK there really isnt alot. We have InfoSec in London each year, but its not really a conference, just a few talkers, and lots and lots of vendor stands.

Many InfoSec guys in the UK I speak to, have said the same thing, there isnt really anything going on in the UK. So I have decided to dedicate sometime, to identify the costs involved, locations, interest and such like.

Once I have decided on a name I will set up a site to officially register interest, and look at sponsorship, events, etc.

First of all though I welcome name suggestions from everyone, things like BritCon etc, I cant offer a reward if your suggestion is the one used, but it would be good Karma

To those in the UK, what do you think, something you would be interested in. I am thinking Birmingham would be a good location, its central, its cheaper than London, good access by road, bus, train, plane etc.

This might never happen, but I am going to measure interest, and look into making it happen if its viable.

In America there are so many events and conferences for the InfoSec Professional and those of the Hacker Mindset. There is Blackhat, Defcon, ShmooCon, and ChicagoCon to name but a few. I am sure many people from the UK, can find the time to attend, some personally financed and others by their company, but in the UK there really isnt alot. We have InfoSec in London each year, but its not really a conference, just a few talkers, and lots and lots of vendor stands.

Many InfoSec guys in the UK I speak to, have said the same thing, there isnt really anything going on in the UK. So I have decided to dedicate sometime, to identify the costs involved, locations, interest and such like.

Once I have decided on a name I will set up a site to officially register interest, and look at sponsorship, events, etc.

First of all though I welcome name suggestions from everyone, things like BritCon etc, I cant offer a reward if your suggestion is the one used, but it would be good Karma

To those in the UK, what do you think, something you would be interested in. I am thinking Birmingham would be a good location, its central, its cheaper than London, good access by road, bus, train, plane etc.

This might never happen, but I am going to measure interest, and look into making it happen if its viable.

Well there is BrumCon and there was DNSCon both of which really were not great but okay if you just wanted a drink with a few people and talk shit. PSG was planning a DEFCON style thing in London but the price was so high (BlackHat Prices) no one bought tickets, than he pissed some people off and now I'm not sure what he's upto.

If you can keep the price under £150 I think you would have a good turn out and Birmingham is a good a place as any. I wish you luck but I think your thinking too big as you need to start small like your listed Cons and get bigger over time as it becomes easier to find funding and sponsoring.

If you can put it together, I'd happily volunteer my time to help with the network and some coding as I really think the UK needs a good Con.

I would be interested in going to a UK event, but don't discount liverpool as a venue we have the echo arena an a few other places to hold a large event in. Just don't let it get too commercial with it turning into a trade show there should be a place for trade but it shouldn't be the main event.

Also make it fun to attend have a few competitions like hack of the show, funyest gag of the show, spot the security services like they do at defcon.

there is a bunch of guys I happen to know who would be very intrested in attending this event its called geekup its mostly a bunch of coders / web designers an there is a closely tied llug its north west central at the moment but there is people who are group members who are nation wide.

• 2 weeks later...
Good idea- yes I would avoid London as it will keep costs down - birmingham is good but don't discount either liverpool or manchester as they have better airport links and added attractions in the cities.

I don't know I'd avoid going too far up north as most people that attend things live down south and can't be bothered to travel up north. Central is ideal, so Birmingham.

• 1 month later...