Best (Windows) software for hacking wireless networks?

USBHacker

Hello!

I have an old laptop, with linux (ubuntu) installed, but I can't find the driver that will make my wireless work!

But I did (finally) find drivers for XP.

So what I would like to find is wireless hacking utilities for XP.

As I would like to test the security on my wireless networks (one is WPA one is WEP)

Please suggest some!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: On another note, I hear the Open-PSK offers the best wireless encryption, is this true?

if you want to pick up some knowledge on wireless hacking i suggest you take a look at Paul Asadoorian and Larry Pesce. you can pick it up on amazon for about 25-30.00. I also suggest taking a look at their podcast. They work on some pretty interesting projects (http:\\pauldotcom.com)

you can get aircrack-ng to work in windows

here is the link on installing aircrack-ng in windows

PS: On another note, I hear the Open-PSK offers the best wireless encryption, is this true?

DO NOT USE WEP-PSK!!! (some people mix these up)

On the other hand WPA-PSK (for those who do not know "PSK" stands for "Pre-Shared Key") is very good protection, and as long as you use a good password its practically unbreakable, i'd recommend using a "Perfect Password" from GRC, click here to get a unique password of your own (you may want to save it in an encrypted text file). Now it is possible to bruteforce/dictionary attack against WPA-PSK (as seen in a hak.5 episode so be sure if you don't use a password from GRC yours is good). If your the tin foiled hat type be sure to change the SSID to something unique to prevent use of Rainbow Tables.

If all the above is done it is almost impossible with today's technology to break the wireless encryption key. For even more protection look into WPA2, however it is not as widely supported as WPA and is much more system intensive.

More Documentation on WPA-PSK (and other forms of WPA)

Security Now! - WPA

Documentation on WEP (and why NOT to use it):

Security Now! - WEP/Bad Wifi Security

you can get aircrack-ng to work in windows

here is the link on installing aircrack-ng in windows

DO NOT USE WEP-PSK!!! (some people mix these up)

On the other hand WPA-PSK (for those who do not know "PSK" stands for "Pre-Shared Key") is very good protection, and as long as you use a good password its practically unbreakable, i'd recommend using a "Perfect Password" from GRC, click here to get a unique password of your own (you may want to save it in an encrypted text file). Now it is possible to bruteforce/dictionary attack against WPA-PSK (as seen in a hak.5 episode so be sure if you don't use a password from GRC yours is good). If your the tin foiled hat type be sure to change the SSID to something unique to prevent use of Rainbow Tables.

If all the above is done it is almost impossible with today's technology to break the wireless encryption key. For even more protection look into WPA2, however it is not as widely supported as WPA and is much more system intensive.

More Documentation on WPA-PSK (and other forms of WPA)

Security Now! - WPA

Documentation on WEP (and why NOT to use it):

Security Now! - WEP/Bad Wifi Security

Hi,

Couldn't seem to work out the installation and compilation of aircrack-ng. (on Windows)

I have tried using command prompt (said ./configure wasn't found) I have tried using Cygwin (got heaps further, but then it didn't recognise the move command).

How should I go about doing this?

Should I just use linux or mac? (both of which I have installed on my computer as well as XP 64-bit)

If at all possible, I'd rather not, just because :blink: well I find it easier to navigate around windows... and it is also better to use for various other reasons (for this kind of thing).

Please recommend to me what I should do next.

Thanks in advance,

USBHacker

i haven't found a live linux distro thats supported my wireless card yet...but thats my bad i guess.

i stick to winblows xp..

netstumbler,

ethereal

cain and abel (yeah skiddy tool but meh..harrison backed it lol)

stuff like that...

Thanks man, I'll give them a try (by ethereal you mean wireshark, right?)

Wireshark is from the creator of Ethereal(and Wireshark), who left the Ethereal team to work more on Wireshark. Almost identical programs, but Wireshark is the more updated and used in more places these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

http://www.wireshark.org/

In June 2006 the project was renamed from Ethereal due to trademark issues. --

Gerald Combs, founder of the Ethereal project -- billed as the world's most popular network protocol analyzer -- caused a flurry of excitement among users and developers Wednesday when he announced on the Ethereal developers mailing list that he was changing jobs, moving to a new location, and taking the project and its core developers with him as he leaves.

Now i'm not trying to be mean, but you really should do a little searching before asking everyone else to do it for you...

But i guess i'll throw the noobs a bone;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download (Win) - Aircrack-ng 9.3.0

SHA1: 590d3e8fd09a21b93908d84057959cb13e73d378

MD5: cbcb23c55ed6933a48b8af5665104fb6

Note that link above is FROM THE AIRCRACK-NG WEBSITE, .exe's are in the /bin/ (shocking i know) and before you start crying because you don't know how to use it read the damn website!

Hope this helps, have fun testing your AP ;)

Now i'm not trying to be mean, but you really should do a little searching before asking everyone else to do it for you...

But i guess i'll throw the noobs a bone;

Download (Win) - Aircrack-ng 9.3.0

SHA1: 590d3e8fd09a21b93908d84057959cb13e73d378

MD5: cbcb23c55ed6933a48b8af5665104fb6

Note that link above is FROM THE AIRCRACK-NG WEBSITE, .exe's are in the /bin/ (shocking i know) and before you start crying because you don't know how to use it read the damn website!

Hope this helps, have fun testing your AP ;)

Thanks, sorry but I forgot to post on this forum that I had found it! Since I have just gone away for the last 24 hours!

But thanks anyway!

USBHacker

FFS What is wrong with people now days? Has Google been down for the past week or so? Last time I wanted info on this stuff I Googled it, and found a very informative guide, with links to the software and also to what wireless card you need for the packet injection etc....

I even found a video (Was it done by the "From the Shadows" folks? I don't remember)

^:lol:

U3 skills? The only U3 I use is the default one... lol

Try clicking the links in my sig!

No mention of a U3 version! Although, if you like I can attempt to port my Switchblade over to U3?

Though I don't think that will be necessary, as there are ones out that do more than mine, for U3.

USBHacker

i haven't found a live linux distro thats supported my wireless card yet...but thats my bad i guess.

i stick to winblows xp..

netstumbler,

ethereal

cain and abel (yeah skiddy tool but meh..harrison backed it lol)

stuff like that...

Oh, forgot to thank you for this post!

Thanks!

Oh, can people please continue to recommend tools

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

We can recommend tools.. but whats the point?

When i started looking into this dingy world of "hacking" the main advice i was given was "read everything. if you wanna know something read up on it.When you decide to actually get started, read some more"

Google some tools. they may link you to other tools. try them out, if they work, then.. awesome, if not, ah well try another one!

cant have it handed to you on a plate now can we?

We can recommend tools.. but whats the point?

When i started looking into this dingy world of "hacking" the main advice i was given was "read everything. if you wanna know something read up on it.When you decide to actually get started, read some more"

Google some tools. they may link you to other tools. try them out, if they work, then.. awesome, if not, ah well try another one!

cant have it handed to you on a plate now can we?

QF<3

That's the shit we need to see.

often a problem with being a noob is just not knowing where to start.

yeah noobs know to start reading everything but often they need a few more pointers, thats all.

maybe the noob just wanted to start a thread and get some conversation...who knows.

stuff i found handy: Google.com, searchlores.org, happyhacker.org and bit torrent to findlots of reading material.

a couple of computers for your wireless network and well....read and experiment on your own network...oh and watch lots of hak5.

guys don't mind answering questions here but they have to be good ones and something that sparks interest..not simple noob stuff like "i want to be a hacker now please, how do i do these things?"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree reading is a great way to learn, however haveing people who know where to start is just as valuable. Ya'll should know how many useless sights there are if you type in how to hack into google, and how many hacking tools are just big bundles of viruses waiting for someone to double click it? I am a newb and I learned some sights to look at just reading what ya'll typed in some trying to help and some mocking people.

pauldotcom.com, happyhacker.org

So I guess what I am trying to say is newbies read and experienced people share some of that knowlage as to what to read.