2 questions really. inspired by wess

RogueHart

i remember in one of the live shows wess mentioning something about the wacom pads. the artist tools that can mimic pen and paper for digital works. he said someone wanted one of those but didnt want to shell out the hundreds of dollars to get one. he said that the guy modded an optical mouse and was able to make a device that worked like a wacom pad using just the modded mouse.

i was wondering if this was real and if it did could someone point me in the direction to find guides or instructions or anything really that would help me actually do this mod? i like drawing on paper, i work with photoshop a lot. i'd like to bring these 2 together. i do scan some stuff but i hate tracing it with a mouse or the pen tool. and i cant draw with the mouse.

it's just a graphics tablet. go buy one?

cant afford it. thats why i'd rather mod a mouse if its possible. far cheaper. and theres nothing like making good use of something you made with your own hands.

A really cheap and nasty way of doing this would be to take a mouse, hack out all the useful bits and build a pen like device with the optical sensor on the tip. You would loose all the pressure features and nice stuff like that, but it would work in a vaguely similar way.

A really cheap and nasty way of doing this would be to take a mouse, hack out all the useful bits and build a pen like device with the optical sensor on the tip. You would loose all the pressure features and nice stuff like that, but it would work in a vaguely similar way.

that sounds like an idea but i have no idea how to go about something like that

i dont need pressure and stuff since i usually use a pen for drawing anyway so pressure isnt an issue and what i really want this for is lineart.

What the fuck are you all on about. A graphic tablet is more than just a mouse, it has pressure sensors to control the flow of whatever tool your using among other things. Just buy a Wacom Bamboo One Graphics Tablet, there only £20 and will shit on anything you could make with a mouse. I have a Wacom Cintiq 21UX I use with a number of things like Solidworks but you don't spend that kind of money on one unless you need it professionally.

What the fuck are you all on about. A graphic tablet is more than just a mouse, it has pressure sensors to control the flow of whatever tool your using among other things. Just buy a Wacom Bamboo One Graphics Tablet, there only £20 and will shit on anything you could make with a mouse. I have a Wacom Cintiq 21UX I use with a number of things like Solidworks but you don't spend that kind of money on one unless you need it professionally.

okay i will probably do that at some point but i just want to make something clear to everone who plans to answer

dont go on a rant about how crappy this mod would be. i know that already. i want to do it for a few reasons. i want the ability to make basic sketches. all i really want is a mouse with a pen shape. that would work perfectly for what im wanting. yes having pressure and speed and ect and ect. would be great but not needed.

and i also want to do something like this to get better with mods. get some more experience at it. not to mention i wouldnt mind playing an fps with a pen mouse. hell im willing to bet just using a pen mouse would speed up everything i needed a mouse for.

i could get a wacom. sure. but i want to do this myself if i can. thats why im asking about this.

Jeez, chill the fuck out man. You're coming off as a total elitist douche again. We all know you do everything better and know so much more than the rest of us clueless lamers, you point that out in these forums with great regularity. Why bash something that integrates hacking, hardware, creativity and a possible new tool for an artist, just because YOU'd rather just buy something off the shelf?

Jeez, chill the fuck out man. You're coming off as a total elitist douche again. We all know you do everything better and know so much more than the rest of us clueless lamers, you point that out in these forums with great regularity. Why bash something that integrates hacking, hardware, creativity and a possible new tool for an artist, just because YOU'd rather just buy something off the shelf?

QFT

lol...and the flaming continues.

say thats an idea...start up a flame thread..flames only...nothing personal

Our local gaming league had a subsection on their forum called fight club. Basically in there it was no holds barred so then if you talk shit in other parts of the forum, you get banned.

I wasn;t trying to flame but we were all n00bz once. Elitist crap drives people away, not brings them into our ranks. Now I don't want tools who have seen hackers and think "yeah I'm gunna haxxor my skool up good", but I do want people who seek answers and ASK questions so they learn. Ease up on the honest noobs, but trash the blatant idiots imo.

thats just awesome lol. if i can get my hands on a webcam then ill be making one of those.

still looking for the optical mouse ting though. mainly because ive got plenty of them.

haha so pointing out when something is pointless and being blunt about it makes me a total elitist douche?. Holy shit man if the world was filled with people like you, nothing would happen, it would just be one big fucking circle jerk.

On a serious note your always going to meet someone that is better than you at something, or know more about a subject. A forum and the internet as a whole is about free speech or should be, the internet is not serious business no matter what the people on #hak5 and here believe, its about doing and saying whatever the fuck you want. If you want a watered down experience I suggest you move to China.

haha so pointing out when something is pointless and being blunt about it makes me a total elitist douche?. Holy shit man if the world was filled with people like you, nothing would happen, it would just be one big fucking circle jerk.

On a serious note your always going to meet someone that is better than you at something, or know more about a subject. A forum and the internet as a whole is about free speech or should be, the internet is not serious business no matter what the people on #hak5 and here believe, its about doing and saying whatever the fuck you want. If you want a watered down experience I suggest you move to China.

dude if your going to waste the time to type up a post on a topic in reply to someones question you should at least for the sake of your own time actually post something useful.

i honestly dont give 2 shits about weather or not you are better than me. idc if you have some elite $34536 pad or if youve got 30 $4k boxes in a mansion. i didnt ask you to brag about your shit. i asked a legitimate question because i feel like modding something and ive got more than enough of what i need to do it more than likely. and i'd like to turn them into something useful. i didnt ask you to waste both my time and yours. use the time youve got to do something constructive not offer useless advice and brag about your shit.

the internet may not be serious business to you. but ive known people who made their living off running websites. who live comfortably and do nothing more than mess with some html and php. the internet is providing jobs and access to jobs and applications. its connecting people across the world and advancing technology. if the internet hadnt been created technology today would more than likely be no better than it was 8 or 10 years ago just because of the easy access to information and quick communication.

weather the internet is serious business or not depends on what you do with it. you apparently just waste the power it gives you as well as your own time.

and i know what most people who are confronted with the "why are you wasting your time on this? do you have no life?" argument. they all say "what about you? making such a big post just to point out im wasting time." yes im wasting time. its late here. i dont feel like working on anything. im bored with games right now. everyone i know is asleep. i cant sleep and i dont have to get up til 9 am. ive got nothing better to do than make this post. at this point i doubt anyone will be able to actually provide me with what i was looking for originally. it would be great if someone could but it doesnt matter. and hell someone posted something pretty kickass (not you of course.) so this topic was a success in my opinion.

wasting your time and acting like your better than everyone doesnt make you 1337 or any other bs like that. it just makes you a dick with too much time and money.

Hey rougue I am with you on that. If you feel the desire to mod a mouse to make this then I say go for it.

thats the idea lol. if i succeed ill post instructions.

the hacks do-able with the mouse, what u will need to do, is unsolder the the laser of the mouse PCB (you will need solder remover), then you will need to wire in new extended wires, about 2-3inch each, from each point on the PCB were the laser was.

Attach the laser to the other and of the wires, then sticky tape the laser (pointing down) on the end of the pen, re-assemble the mouse, and duct tape this to the other end of the pen.

the hacks do-able with the mouse, what u will need to do, is unsolder the the laser of the mouse PCB (you will need solder remover), then you will need to wire in new extended wires, about 2-3inch each, from each point on the PCB were the laser was.

Attach the laser to the other and of the wires, then sticky tape the laser (pointing down) on the end of the pen, re-assemble the mouse, and duct tape this to the other end of the pen.

yeah thats what i was thinking about. im gonna try to get my hands on a cheap ass bic pen. the kind you can pull of both ends and have a hollow tube. try to get the laser in one end with wires leading up to the top. have the remaining parts of the mouse on one end and the laser on the other. and super glue or something the laser in the tip. or i may extend the wires about 3 ft or so and wrap them together and have a wire going from the pen to the mouse which would be in some kind of case then from that to the comp via usb.

lol this thread reminds of my friends computer...

It has a touch screen where instead of using the mouse, you can just click things with your fingers on the screen...

you could even using for drawing! by moving your finger around the screen... its really neat!!

but theres on problem with it, when I was over there were some fly's flying around and you know how they are attracted to light right?

well they kept flying into the screen and making the mouse click everywhere, and he was like working on something and the fly managed to click the X button lol it was pretty funny!

There's gotta be a way to turn off the touch screen but I wasn't sure how, neither did my friend know!

So thats one draw back of a touch screen a fly could mess shit up if your doing something on your computer...

lol at first I thought it was a virus or something where it would move the mouse around and a little bug image would be drawn on the screen, and then he was like oh no its no virus dont worry its an ACTUAL BUG!

look at the bottom of your mouse the laser will never fix in any type of pen housing

dunno about yours but mines not that big. and if nothing else i can heat up the tip of the plastic tube and widen it.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the double post and topic revival but would this possibly work if i somehow connected some fiberoptics to the laser?that would completely eliminate the problem finding a case. it might even take out all of the modding other than hot-gluing a fiber optic to the bottom of the mouse